Accuracy of Xtracolor Trainer Yellow, X011

85sqn

Hi folks,

I'm just spraying a Tiger Moth with this. To me it looks too mustardy, has anyone got any thoughts or observations about this particular paint?

Is it accurate?

I'm using grey but I've used it over other lighter colours before and black. A good base for yellow is pink which I've used for a stearman but with this Xtracolor even the tin lid colour looks mustardy. 

I know the depth will build with more coats but I'm not sold on it.

15 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

I'm using grey but I've used it over other lighter colours before and black. A good base for yellow is pink which I've used for a stearman but with this Xtracolor even the tin lid colour looks mustardy...

I'm using X011 on a regular basis, and have found out the hard way that it can be a bit difficult to get a nice even result where the undersurface does not show itself too much.

My current favourite technique is to base with white, shake or stir the X011 extremely well, thin carefully and then apply one or two thin coats of it. This leads to a multiple of coats that I'm not too fond of, but what can you do?

Are the paint new or old? Perhaps you should try with a newer tin.

HTH Finn

I tend to go for X106 Insignia Yellow, stir for 2 minutes with a Badger Stirrer, thin 50:50 with XDTT, airbrush at 20psi straight onto clean and polished plastic, not tried the X11 yet but the lids look the same.

Cheers

Dennis

34 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

I'm using X011 on a regular basis, and have found out the hard way that it can be a bit difficult to get a nice even result where the undersurface does not show itself too much.

My current favourite technique is to base with white, shake or stir the X011 extremely well, thin carefully and then apply one or two thin coats of it. This leads to a multiple of coats that I'm not too fond of, but what can you do?

Are the paint new or old? Perhaps you should try with a newer tin.

HTH Finn

I've found it sprays beautifully, absolutely no trouble with laying it on with the airbrush. Lovely smooth finish, I'm just not sure about the accuracy of the colour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 85sqn said:

I'm just not sure about the accuracy of the colour.

Hi got carried away there, so I looked in the RAFM book British Aviation Colours of WW2 and there is only one yellow listed there, this does not answer your question but it did lead me to do some further digging and I came across this discussion all about RAF yellow which you may find useful.

Cheers

Dennis

Original Gas Detector Paint was formulated using cadmium lithopone yellow pigment which the specification of July 1939  stated was to approximate  BS 381 (1930) No 55 Lemon. IIRF it is the same colour that artists call Cadmium Yellow.