Airfix 1/48 Lightning F.1A cockpit and other things.

The west wing

Hi,

After a 30 year gap in model making I have started on an 1/48 Airfix F.1A Lightning. The plan is to build the model as one of the 226 OCU unit aircraft based at Coltishall in the late 60's. This is significant to me as this was the first time I remember seeing a Lightning in action. The idea is to mount the aircraft in a vertical climb on reheat so the cockpit with the pilot in will be quite visible. A question I have is will the interior (near enough black on black) be visible and is the effort of fitting a CMK version worth while?

On the subject of markings I am looking for the Model Alliance 48171 number 3 set as this has the Saint George cross either side of the roundels and the circular marking on the tail, every where I have looked its out of stock so any other suggestions?

Thanks

Ian

Ian

I did one years ago with the early black pit.  I painted up the kit parts while waiting on an Aires cockpit set coming.  It was very nice when the resin set arrived and I was posing the pit empty with no pilot and canopy open so on balance worth it but given your project and thinking this through in 1/48 a closed cockpit Lightning  - an early one with the "all black" cockpit and a pilot in the seat - you are not going to be able to see that much through the canopy glass anyway.  I'd be tempted to do a dry run first and tape up the main components before painting anything or buying anything and have a look at what its like in the gray bare plastic just to satisfy yourself first.  I suspect that once you factor in black paint you will be happy enough with the kit parts and can save on the expense.

A half way house might be to invest in a detailed ejection seat perhaps?

Sorry cant help on the decals issue.

If it helps, I have Cutting Edge decals CED 48075, which has an F1 of 226 OCU in 1963. It has the fin badge with the St Georges Cross but its a shield not circular, and nothing either side of the roundels. 

I built a Lightning and posed it just as you describe. All I felt was needed was a better seat but even that isn't particularly noticeable to be honest.

For all the effort going into building the model I decided to go for the the Aires cockpit set (wrong mark but can be altered) as suggested the seat will be visible. The Aires seat does not have the seat belts moulded in so will be easier to fit the pilot. I had forgotten about the tint on the canopy, so thanks for the reminder. I'm still working on the perspex simulation of the reheat/afterburner and trying to get this correct before starting the kit.

I have not tried the Airies cockpit as I have not had great experiences with the fit of their sets on other kits, but I can heartily recommend the Neomega cockpit- complete drop fit, and it also includes some useful detail behind the seat under the canopy hinge that might be visible on your planned display.  Belts are moulded on the set but easily removed to place the pilot figure.