Hard landing at Exeter

Truro Model Builder

Looks it. Not far off having the gear popped up into the wings then it would have got interesting! Wonder if it was built as a freighter? Could be an ex passenger jet with a high number of landing cycles and basically a bit worn out?

"Locals report a post flight inspection found creases around the fuselage to the extent, that Royal Mail was unable to unload the mail."

A much more original excuse than what has become the usual Covid/Brexit/Christmas mantra from some sellers for non or late delivery 'Stuck in a 737 at Exeter'. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Wonder if it was built as a freighter? Could be an ex passenger jet with a high number of landing cycles and basically a bit worn out?

N783AS 01/12/1994 Alaska Airlines 

VQ-BAO 01/07/2009 Aeroflot-Don 

VQ-BAO 25/09/2009 Donavia

Stored 10/2014 as 2-VBAO (VX Capital)  

G-JMCY 01/03/2016 Atlantic Airlines 

G-JMCY 01/01/2017 West Atlantic (UK)

Freighter conversion during storage period

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 2:38 PM, Lord Riot said:

What happens to the crew after an incident like that?

They start looking for a job with Deliveroo?

Dave

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bedders said:

They have to go and fill in the hole in the runway...

.. and fill in a lot of paperwork. 😊

As to their fate well that depends what actually happened. 

But it's the end for that 737. Probably beyond economic repair. It'll be joining the other one lying derelict. 

My word, that must have rattled their fillings!

I've had few days when the runway seemed to be  a different height to my estimates, but that level of crinkle damage is bad news. Well beyond the elastic limit there, and I suspect past economic repair. 

In fact it looks as though the port wing upper skin has been pushed up, presumably by the main gear assembly or its support structure.

Shades of the French 'tin parachute' Rallye which was said to be designed so that in an emergency  the undercarriage legs would punch up through the wing as you struck the ground in a level attitude,, effectively stalling your way in when all else failed. (Powerful elevators!) 

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Like 2