Chunuk Bair New Zealander 1/35 ICM

I'll join with some figures. I'll start with a New Zealander at the Battle of Chunuk Bair and then hopefully also do a small vignette of a couple Australians in a trench.

20210119_192931

20210119_192942

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Ted said:

I'll join with some figures. I'll start with a New Zealander at the Battle of Chunuk Bair and then hopefully also do a small vignette of a couple Australians in a trench.

Nice choices, I have family that have served with the Armed Forces in both

countries. My Brother was in the RAAF Honour Guard at Gallipoli some years ago

My Great Uncle is Interred at Walkers Ridge Cemetery at Gallipoli (NZEF) KIA 1915.

Look forward to your builds

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Nice choices, I have family that have served with the Armed Forces in both

countries. My Brother was in the RAAF Honour Guard at Gallipoli some years ago

My Great Uncle is Interred at Walkers Ridge Cemetery at Gallipoli (NZEF) KIA 1915.

Look forward to your builds

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, I look forward to learning more about the campaign as I build them. 

I made a start on the New Zealander. I'm really impressed with ICM figures. The parts breakdown for this fellow allows some great detail because of the way his head and upper chest fit into the shirt. The plastic is on the soft side but the detail is great.

20210122_204638

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ted said:

I made a start on the New Zealander.

Kick off time :thumbsup:

The Dominions played a big part in WWI

Australia and New were not as old say as Canada/India etc history wise,

but it was our collective country's baptism of Fire on the World stage.

Australia had less than 5 Million and New Zealand roughly 1 Million

population wise. By 11.11.1918, 10% of our respective populations were

serving overseas.

ANZAC Day (April 25), day of the landings is collectively Observed by both

Countries (National Holiday), but largely unknown to the rest of the world.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It was to bring a bit more recognition to the history of both countries

Hi Dennis,

I for one appreciate that immensely 👍

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Dennis,

I for one appreciate that immensely 👍

Thanks/regards

Alan

I should add that “Gallipoli” is one of my favorite historical movies. Until I saw it when it came out in the 80’s I had very little knowledge of the sacrifice that both countries have given. Studying WW2 Aviation and Ive learned even more about aircrew and squadrons involved. I have built quite a bit of RAAF stuff over the years but will try to focus on New Zealand as well. I am doing both the P-40 here and an A-4K in the scooter build. Id love to do an aussie scooter as well so that may happen yet. While perusing the decals I know I want to do a Strikemaster and Vampire in RNZAF colors now. And Ive always wanted to do Canberra’s from both countries. I plan on doing an Mirage and F-4E in RAAF colors later this year as well. I am doing a Cessna in Australian markings for either the Un-armed or High-wing builds. And if I can ever afford an F-111 or two one will be in RAAF Markings. I was offered a job in Australia once and deeply regret not taking it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I should add that “Gallipoli” is one of my favorite historical movies

Hi Dennis,

Apologies to Ted for slight Thread drift.

Have you seen this series - came out in 2015 for 100th Anniversary.

Gallipoli (2015)

That series is quite poignant to me, as one of the scenes in there, is how My Great Uncle died.

(Plus there is lots of "Strine" and some Kiwiese)

One of my all time favourites also is this one

The Light Horsemen

Regards

Alan

(PS I could discuss this topic for a month of Sundays and more:D)

• Like 1

I think that the Dardanelles campaign was one of the most significant events in the formation of modern Europe.  Much has been written by some very skilled writers about the precursors to the campaign, the conditions and circumstances of the military operations and the genocides which followed it.  De Bernieres' book Birds Without Wings gives a particularly vivid description of these times and their repercussions, some of which have recently flared up again (not that they ever "went away") Armenia recently.  The death toll on both sides should give us all pause to reflect and be thankful.

It's great to see a tribute to the ANZAC troops who fought so hard in Gallipoli and gave their lives so far from their homes.

• Like 3

Thanks for the bits of history and movie recommendations, one of the best side effects of building models is learning.

I just can't get over how well designed this kit is. I have built dozens of plastic figures from great companies like Dragon, Tristar, Miniart, Masterbox etc. But this one required no filler anywhere. And the pose, and the detail! Early ICM kits were good, the Franco-Prussian figures particularly. But I'll have to collect more of these recent ICM offerings.

Aaaanyway, here it is ready for primer and paint. I'll build a little base with a slope, as if he's on his way up the hill.

20210124_141814

• Like 8

• Ted changed the title to Chunuk Bair New Zealander 1/35 ICM

I changed the thread title to match this figure. Got base coats on. I'm using vallejo, reaper, and citadel paint.

20210125_200559

• Like 8

On 1/25/2021 at 8:41 AM, Ted said:

I'll build a little base with a slope, as if he's on his way up the hill.

Hi Ted,

Looking good :D

These links to some photo, gives you some idea of the "Hilly Terrain"

ANZAC Cove

Table Top - NZ Wellington Mounted Rifles

ANZAC's and Terrain

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a good painting session tonight. Still lots to do but I'm happy with it so far.

20210126_210827

20210126_210834

And I put a layer of wood filler on the base.

20210126_210900

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking good for the first gallery entry. :thumbsup:

Thanks, a nice sculpt like this one make it easy to work on.

15 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Ted,

That looks absolutely Top Notch :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

Much apprecitaed Alan, I do wish I had dulled down the blue shirt. It looks brighter in the photos than in real life, but still wish I had made it more grey than blue.

12 hours ago, CliffB said:

Fabulous work Ted.  Congratulations.

Cheers

Thanks Cliff :)

9 hours ago, fatfingers said:

That looks great Ted. I've got the same set of figures and can only hope mine turn out as half as good as that one! 👍

Regards,

Steve

I'm sure they will be wonderful, hope to see them when you get around to building them. They were a treat to assemble.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What a great result.  I have always wanted to do a diorama or similar depicting Great War Anzacs, sadly such would be too time consuming for a Group Build for me.

Chunuk Bair was the best opportunity presented to win the campaign, apart from the initial landings.  One of several heroic moments on the Great War for the small but very effective New Zealand force.

While the military history of the Dardanelles Campaign is reasonably well covered, there was an awful lot of politics going on which had ramifications for the rest of the war.  It saw the ruination of Churchill and Sir Ian Hamilton as leaders in this war, the rise of Keith Murdoch (Ruoert's father) as an 'influencer' in London and Canberra, and greatly strengthened the job security of Western Front generals like Haig.