Magilligan Point to Greencastle DUKW ferry

In the very top North-West corner of Northern Ireland is a peninsula called Magilligan Point.
Its home to an Army firing range, a HM Prison, a Martello Fort and a ferry across the Foyle to Greencastle in ROI, aka Eire, a distance of under 2 miles.
Way back in about 1967 when I was up at Magilligan, on holiday, I first came across the ferry service there for passengers only using two WW2 DUKWS. They operated until at least about 1974-ish.
The last I saw of the DUKWS was about 6 years ago, one was partially buried under a sand dune, within the military area so it was impossible to get close to it.
The DUKWs were, afair, painted a dark blue on the sides and either white, yellow or orange on the top decking. The rear load area was fitted out with seats for passengers and small sized cargo.  One day when I was on another passenger had coops with hens, ducks and geese, another passenger had collie dogs, which didn't like the birds, one man had a couple of young lambs, one chap fished as we crossed the Foyle.  It was like something out of an Ealing comedy film.
To get on board you had to climb a short ladder which was fixed to the side, near the rear wheels. There was no dock or pier. Then the DUKW just drove down the beach into the water and across the Foyle. At Greencastle there was boat slip-way which it drove up then you got off via that ladder, everyone helping each other. afair the fare was about 2d or 3d one way.

I used the venerable Airfix 1/76 DUKW for this

Magilligan%20-%20Greencastle%20DUKW%20fe

• Like 21

That's great, BK @Black Knight, love the pig in the "boot' and the passengers, all practicing social distancing. 

A close up of some of the passengers would be great, they look to have their individual personalities.

The venerable DUKW was a fairly common sight on holiday beaches providing sterling service for trips 'once round the lighthouse'. I remember one at Lancing on the south coast from my early childhood.

Rog

• Thanks 1

Nice!

I used the same kit a few years ago to model the 'tourist' DUKWs I rode in as a child, touring a scenic area called the Wisconsin Dells. Those old aquatic trucks are always an interesting ride!

Great work on the passengers and crew as well!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

I am sure that until very recently, DUKWs were used as water buses on the Thames. There was an issue when one of them sank, I believe.

I have some recollection that someone operated one in the harbour area of Bristol some years back.

Cheers,

Alan.

Great build by the way!

• Like 1

Magilligan, now there's a name from my past.  One of the few places where you can look North and see South.  The amazing beach and Benevenagh overlooking it all.  Great model, amazing memories.

• Like 1