Douglas F4D Skyray

My first build of 2021 and first Tamiya model. 

For my first tamiya I have to say some very nice detail and fits. Found the decals a little weak especially the intake hazard decals too many folds. 
And not a fan of the colours only available as a spray making it very hard to convert to a tin or to humbrol etc. 
If anybody has a good cross reference site for tamiya AS paints let me know please. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 23

Hi,

great model! You did a great job!!!

I did build this kit in the same paint scheme, many, many years ago. I used a white paint spray. That is the only paint I ever spray. The rest is all brush painted with Humbrol. Easy in that case: mostly light gull grey.

Have you tried the IPMS Stockholm web site? Plenty of color charts with equivalences between paint manufacturers!

Try: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/

Great model.

JR

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi,

great model! You did a great job!!!

I did build this kit in the same paint scheme, many, many years ago. I used a white paint spray. That is the only paint I ever spray. The rest is all brush painted with Humbrol. Easy in that case: mostly light gull grey.

Have you tried the IPMS Stockholm web site? Plenty of color charts with equivalences between paint manufacturers!

Try: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/

Great model.

JR

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the website. I’m not sure if I tried it, I tried many. It doesn’t have the AS paints from what I can see. Was just helpful in confirming the colour for my current build JA37. 
I did the same and just used white as was closest I could see from pics etc. 

On 1/19/2021 at 6:59 PM, aerotechi said:

And not a fan of the colours only available as a spray making it very hard to convert to a tin or to humbrol etc. 
If anybody has a good cross reference site for tamiya AS paints let me know please. 

Light Gull Gray and white, not too hard to figure out.  I agree Tamiya's paint callouts aren't the most helpful ever.  

Looks like you captured the slightly tannish tone of the grey just fine, whichever paint you wound up with.  Decals look good too.  Tamiya aren't known for great decals, especially when they cover so large an area as this kit demands; you fought them well.  😎

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Light Gull Gray and white, not too hard to figure out.  I agree Tamiya's paint callouts aren't the most helpful ever.  

Looks like you captured the slightly tannish tone of the grey just fine, whichever paint you wound up with.  Decals look good too.  Tamiya aren't known for great decals, especially when they cover so large an area as this kit demands; you fought them well.  😎

Thanks Jackson. 
As you said not to hard to figure out just extra research. Which I do quite a bit of anyway. 

Man, she looks great!  😀 Very nice model work indeed sir. :clap2:  I've built that same kit, it was my second Tamiya model and I see that you were much braver than I was to pull off that big decal down the spine and up the fin.    I didn't trust myself to get it right so I chose the alternate scheme.   Kudos to you for a great result!

seen here if interested:

Tamiya Douglas F4D

• Like 1