Spitfire Slipper Tank dimensions

Steve in Ottawa

I'm looking at some of the kit-supplied slipper tanks and, at least for the 90-gallon tank, ICM and Special Hobby don't seem to agree on the length, with the ICM offering being about 1/8" longer than Special Hobby's.

A Google search hasn't helped much, so I'm wondering if anybody has come across the actual real-world dimensions of the 30-, 45- and 90-gallons slipper tanks?

These may help. Taken from an RAAF report on flight tests of Spitfire MK.VC. The RAAF used only the 30 gall and 90 gall tanks.

Peter M

02ee117d-b0df-4f37-acbb-07d1a86257a6.jpg

e80f1f96-599c-433f-b848-258c052ee373.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I copied some manufacturing drawings from a Britmodeller thread on this topic some time ago, can't remember the poster (could have been Edgar), but they are hard to read and didn't have the title block with the capacity. My old eyeballs came up with approx. 1680 for one which is 35mm in 1/48 which matches the 30gal in Peter's post and the other was approx. 2110 in length which is 44mm in 1/48 and just about matches perfectly with the 90 gal tank in Peter's drawings. Regards the 45 & 170 gal tanks you're on your own as there doesn't seem to be any info readily available on the net.

TRF

• Like 1

I will look at the Spitfire wreck at the end of the runway at Truscott when I'm back next week there is a complete 30 gal tank there, will get the dimensions off it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

I will look at the Spitfire wreck at the end of the runway at Truscott when I'm back next week there is a complete 30 gal tank there, will get the dimensions off it.

Hi Syd,

UK built or Aussie built tank? If late war, may be an Aussie tank.

Cheers,
Peter