Aircraft pedestal stands

FrankJ

I'm 1/2 way through building a Airfix 1/72 Avro Lancaster BII. 

Can any one advise what decent pedestal stand to get for it, also I assume I will need to create/drill a hole in the undercarriage  somewhere to accommodate the pedestal, where would the best position be? 

Bomb bay doors will be in closed position and wheels down. 

I've not 100% decided whether to stand it on its wheels or on pedestal. 

Thanks

Do you prefer to buy a ready-made stand or unsure about how to make one? A stand can be readily made from wood and acrylic rod.

In the following examples, I used a graphics program to design a base image suitable for printing as a photo. I then mounted the "photo" on a finished wood base and then attached the model using acrylic rod. The first two are 1/144 models, and are quite light. The last is a heavier 1/48 resin model, so I mounted it near its center of gravity.

f-16-display1.jpg

f-4f-mounted0.jpg

x37b-finished0.jpg

HTH

-- 

dnl

If it helps at all, I'm using a length of 2.5mm brass rod as the stand, with a 65mm square fence-post topper (made of galvanised steel) as the base.

Inside the plane, I assemble a suitable cup for the end of the wire to go into - after working out where the hole will be drilled through the fuselage. The 'cup' goes opposite the hole, obviously.

At the other end, the rod fits through a hole in the base, with a 90 degree bend (inside the base, where it can't be seen) and then lots of 5-minute epoxy glue and short lengths of sprue to make a solid join.

Once primed and painted gloss black, the base matches the polished brass quite nicely.

The base: https://www.bunnings.com.au/australian-handyman-supplies-65-x-65mm-galvanised-cap-insert_p1102649