Siemens Schuckert SSW DDr1 1/72 scratch build

pheonix

Evening All,

The Seimens-Schuckert company produced a number of odd designs during the period 1914-1918, some of which were relatively successful. The DDr1 was a product of the "triplane craze" of 1917: the introduction of the Sopwith Ttriplane earlier that year had caused something of a sensation among pilots on account of the extreme agility of the type. It could easily out-turn all other types in service and although it was not particularly fast, in dogfights its pilots had a distinct advantage. Many companies tried to either design new types or modify existing ones which could replicate the success of the Sopwith. The Seimens Schuckert design was one of the less successful attempts, but it is interesting nonetheless because of a novel feature - it had two engines. 

50842727021_84ec57f361_c.jpg

The machine had a fairly conventional structure - a stubby nacelle which was covered in fabric with metal cowlings, and tubular booms supporting twin rudders and a single elevator at the rear. It was armed with two machine guns. The power was supplied by two Siemens-Halske Sh 1a 120 hp rotary engines, one mounted in the nose driving a two blade propellor, and one at the rear driving a four blade propellor. The engines were unusual because while the cylinders rotated in one direction, gearing caused the propellors to turn in the opposite direction.

50842726801_f56fc7022a_c.jpg

The shape of the arircraft meant that it was quickly dubbed the "flying egg". the design was submitted for approval in the summer of 1917 and a prototype ordered which was ready for testing in November of that year.

50842812117_e91d6fece2_c.jpg

The radical design proved to be too much: the machine lacked stability and the engines were difficult to control, with the result that the machine crashed on the first flight and was not rebuilt. A second design with more powerful engines was not proceeded with.

50842003108_b5f130c941_c.jpg

Spin models make one of these in resin in 1/48 scale but there are two problems with that for me. 1st it is in the wrong scale and 2nd I do not like resin kits, so it left me with no option but to scratch build one in the True Scale. The nacelle, spinner and cowlings were push moulded and the booms were florists wire. The wheels are discs cut from plastic card with rod for tyres, the engines are rod and card, and the remainder was made from plastic card. It is rigged with rolled copper wire.

50842003158_df51be8a50_c.jpg

50842726921_a6e9d3c0ac_c.jpg

50842726971_7f2295b795_c.jpg

50842812082_df171794a6_c.jpg

50842812252_9daa2a67d8_c.jpg

Another oddball type to add to my growing collection!

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 2

Brilliant! I can understand a certain amount of fully-justified pre-flight trepidation on the part of the test pilot as he approached the real thing.

Now, I really must extract digit with another scratchbuild myself. You always provide plenty of inspiration, P!

Jon

PS. Methinks thos should be in RFI...

Edited by Jonners