HP42 -A few questions and use of acetone on 3D printing

HP42

Hi all,

Well I wait years to get my all time 'fave' aircraft on the bench and two come along at the same time. I bought a 3D printed kit from One Man Models last year and it's certainly not for the faint-hearted though it's a triumph of the 3D printed artform. Whilst the 'grain' for want of a better word is actually quite fine, it does need some attention. Thankfully the kit came with a test piece (a failed upper wing section) and whilst I've tried various fillers on it, it does look like a heck of a lot of work and I'm not convinced I'll get it looking as it should. I have however seen this technique on the 'tube'. Anyone tried it?

A second HP42? A modelling pal of mine gave me the wreckage of a Contrail kit on the basis that he'll never get around to fixing it. I've made a start and it's now back on its main undercarriage though I'm really quite stumped as to how the tail wheel assembly was actually constructed in real life. I'm not convinced the OMM kit is a good reference in this department either! Anyone got a good reference photo of the tail wheel perchance? 

Thanks for the links @rossm, that last picture is probably the best. It's still not entirely clear how the tail wheel operates but I think I can work with it. Many thanks.

Just need to look at the acetone trick now for sorting out the 3D printing texture! The props are struggling a little with the layered effects, less so the fuselage. 

Great to see a OMM HP42 being built, I thought of buying one too, but finally decided to be content with my Contrail kit.

Can you post pics of the OMM kit contents?

I believe the decals may be a type of self adhesive sticker.

Glad to hear you are doing it in silver!

Malc.

• Like 1

Here is nice build with a photo of tailwheel

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2008/august/aviation/hp42.php

That one can be also useful I hope, The results in both are excelet! 

However this photo shows all (in resolution of 5k lines)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Handley_Page_H.P.42_Hanno_2.jpg

There is a fork type suspension arm mounted on a three rods pyramid, the second fork-type arm and is connected via shock absorber to te top end of the pyramid

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Thanks Malc and JWM. Useful points there chaps. 

Currently I'm refurbishing the Contrail kit but when I master putting photos back on servers I'll take a few piccys of the OMM kit and show you. The attention to detail is excellent and whilst it's not for the faint hearted, it's certainly buildable and well engineered. The packaging is like a Japanese tea ceremony, quite exquisite! 

@HP42 it might be worth asking the acetone question (and posting the video) over in the 3D makerspace.

I would be hesitant to try it on any large parts as it will be difficult to get an even distribution and you risk damaging the parts.

Unfortunately with FDM your best option is filler and increasingly fine grades of sandpaper, followed by a hard lacquer coat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2021 at 11:19 AM, wellsprop said:

@HP42 it might be worth asking the acetone question (and posting the video) over in the 3D makerspace.

I would be hesitant to try it on any large parts as it will be difficult to get an even distribution and you risk damaging the parts.

Unfortunately with FDM your best option is filler and increasingly fine grades of sandpaper, followed by a hard lacquer coat. 

I'm inclined to agree with you. So easy to damage parts otherwise. I just wondered if anyone had tried. 

28 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Is this of any use?

50871536616_de6185d45c_b.jpg

Chris

Thanks Chris. I already have this shot and it looks rather good blown up like this. It makes me think the part that enters the fuselage at the bottom is actually a V shape but seen sideways on. There's an artefact hanging about in the centre of the assembly below the main framework. No idea what that is but it looks like there's a wire coming out of it and going to the fuselage. It wouldn't be a brake line. No idea what it could be. 

I've got some 1mm brass rod on order. I think I might try soft soldering a frame work and see what happens. Anyone tried this? 🤔

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'm very late on this, sorry, and it might not be relevant any more, but I think the item hanging below the tailwheel assembly is a chain to limit the angle of the wheel.

It's a great photo, somehow it puts the size of the aircraft in perspective more than the photos of the towering upper wing and engines!

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 21:12, HP42 said:

There's an artefact hanging about in the centre of the assembly below the main framework. No idea what that is but it looks like there's a wire coming out of it and going to the fuselage. It wouldn't be a brake line. No idea what it could be. 

It's not hanging, it's sticking out perpendicular to the wheel, and there's another on the other side of the frame hidden behind the wheel.

It's tail wheel steering, there are wires on the end of the arm going into the fuselage, most likely connected to the rudder operating mechanism.

The wheel, yokes and shock absorber pivot around the near vertical strut just aft of the fuselage.

• Like 4