Need help with weathering/panel lines...

armada68

Need some help after two mishaps.  Trying to use Flory wash, which seems like a great product, but I can't seem to lay down a durable enough gloss coat to withstand the "rubbing off" process.

• Applied primer was Tamiya Surface Primer Grey Spray.  Waited almost a week to completely dry.
  • Base color first time was Vallejo and second time Mission Models Light Ghost Grey, both acrylic.  Again, let dry for a week.
  • Next gloss coats, First Vallejo, second time AK... and let dry for two weeks.
  • Apply the Flory wash and the next day after a few seconds wiping with wet cloth, the gloss coat came off followed by top color of ghost grey.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong.  Should I try a different gloss top coat (Alclad Aqua)?  I don't think I'm rubbing too hard, but I'm stumped.  I thought this should work.

Had the same problem with an X-15 model, but I applied a whole lot less wash... just a very very fine amount of light grey directly to panel lines.  Removing was delicate, but same problem of wiping off the gloss top coat.

Any help (as always) appreciated.

Sample Photos

Also, I prefer using acrylics.  And yes, I work slowly, oh so slowly!

Edited by armada68
typo

• armada68 changed the title to Need help with weathering/panel lines...

I would use a coat of Future (or equivalent) instead of the Vallejo or AK gloss coats, I haven't used them but it sounds as though their make up is too similar to the paint and a bit fragile. Future is amazingly tough, self levelling and in my experience a bullet proof protective coat.

Dave

Hi

I've used Flory or their equivalent washes and never had this problem but I use enamels or Gunze lacquers. I would have a suspicion it's the vallejo acrylics. I've heard they are quite fragile and I seldom use them except for very specific brush painting.

Regards

Michael

On 19/01/2021 at 19:31, armada68 said:

Should I try a different gloss top coat

sounds like it.   

Kleer is no longer avilable, but it's simply a hard wearing self levelling acrylic varnish, for floors, which means it's a durable. The 'self levelling' is why is makes canopies 'clearer' as it fills in little imperfections.

Apparently there is a new Kleer, which you could get at Sainsbury's,  and is/was a fllor polish that was at Poundstrecher, IIRC @Black Knight mentioned this.

Lakeland Quick Shine is rated as being the same as original Kleer

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/20286/Quick-Shine-Floor-Finish-800ml

"There's nothing like a super shine to bring new life to tired-looking flooring.

Described as 'a new floor in a bottle', Quick Shine Floor Finish from the USA uses ultra gloss enhancers and state-of-the-art levellers to give a smooth finish to sealed wooden floors, laminate, tiles, vinyl and marble. It was formulated to give floors a great gloss and durability.

Floor Finish is not a wax and therefore requires no buffing and because it is not a wax, it will never yellow and is slip-resistant and durable and lasts for months."

Obviously its not meant for modellers.....   

There are similar modellers products.  but given model products are small quantities for a  premium price,  800 ml for £14 isn't bad.

I have some original Kleer, I used it over brushed Vallejo Model Color,  let it dry overnight and then scrubbed oil paint dissolved in lighter fuel over it,  so it's tough. 

see here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

I believe that the Alclad gloss is pretty tough.   You may want to edit your title to 'wanted tough vanish for use under Flory washes' which is really your question.

HTH

T

I use Alclad Aqua gloss over mig ammo paints and have never had a problem using it with Flory washes. I usually spray primer, leave 24 hours, apply top coats, camo etc, leave 24 hours the apply 2 coats of gloss and leave 24 hours. After that I use washes, effects etc as per manufacturers info.