Sea weathering

Dust

Hi all😁

I want to add some salt water staining weathering to my ship.

I'm using tamiya acrylics I use a airbrush but have some small brushes too.

I want to mix my own coulor up for it but dont really now how to make a wash that will do.

Thanks 🤗

Hi Dust, first off you're asking in the wrong section, they're all wingy thingy enthusiasts here, you need the Maritime section, maybe ask the Mods to move it? I'm sure the fine naval enthusiasts there will answer you.

Washes are usually made up of the colour, a little goes a long way, and the carrier, this is usually what will thin the paint, with Tamiya acrylics do you use their thinner or isopropanol?

Mix in a container and apply, using water soluble paints is probably the best if your just starting out as they can be removed easily. There are loads of YouTube videos and lots of online tips as well as ready made washes by the bucket load if you're not happy with the home made results.

Good luck.

Dave

If you are using acrylic's then use the enamel washes, that way it wont react with the main base coat. 

Mig ammo and AK make lots of washes and weathering products for use with Acrylic base coats and they do make a maritime set 

for ship modellers, I'd consider these personally. 

P1090214

• Like 1

Hi Dust 

I agree with Dan as above. 

Tamiya paint is not going to work.

The other option and it's the one I personally prefer is to grab some oils - (502 abteilung/Mig oil brushers or AK interactive) in white and a dirty colour (Starship filth or industrial dirt)

Use TINY dabs and streaks and then "feather" in with a small brush wetted with white spirit or "scrub" in with an old dry paint brush un-wetted or "streak" with a cotton bud.  If you dont like it or it doesn't look right - lift it all off with kitchen towel wetted with White spirit.  The oils take 24 hrs to dry.  check out the builds in RFI on Maritime

HTH

Rob

Please move if I have posted in the wrong area.

I'm going to get some wash from the shop so I can remove it if its wrong or I don't like it.

I was just trying to save money. 

Thanks for the advice 🤗