A quick (almost) OOB Spitfire build for my desk at work, and a lesson learned

Trying to just have fun with these Airfix kits.  This is their PR XIX done up with Xtradecal X48-118  for RM643/Z.  The only non-OOB part is the exhaust stacks.  Clear glue still drying on the camera ports.  

Marbled on a PRU Blue color from SMS....great paint.  Xtradecals....great as well.

Kudo's to Airfix for allowing in-flight builds....they give you the parts to build gear up which I really appreciate (wish all kits did this).  The issue I have is the pilot figures.  I painted the kit pilot up and it really looked great.  To get him to fit in the cockpit...I ended up cutting away about 2/3rd's of him to get him to fit (legs gone...backside...gone, lower back...gone).  Very frustrating...but it's a Spitfire cockpit...can't see anything anyway.  

LESSON LEARNED:  I will never build another in-flight kit and attach the canopy BEFORE I paint and finish. This is the second or third build I have had fogging on the inside of the clear parts after I thought all the glue had set and off-gassed.  This could also be paint and overcoat fumes sneaking in during the painting process.  Regardless...I will improved my builds by adding the canopies as one of the last steps of the build.  Lesson learned.  

So off to the work desk she goes....to keep my two Mosquitos company.  

Cheers

Collin

eYXtQqA.jpg

fAEwjtQ.jpg

jLetoJv.jpg

Edited by Collin
  • Like 55

Hiya,

I can't see the photos. However, if you get some Tamiya polishing compound you may be able to whip off the canopy and give it a polish.

All the best

Nick

Looks brilliant. It's a long time since I had a work desk or indeed a desk job but it would have brightened it up no end. 

Having my said that my old desk was so cluttered with aircraft maintenance manuals and revisions that I might have been better hanging it from the ceiling. 

Edited by noelh

I sympathize with the concerns about canopy fogging. One of the things I make a point of doing before spraying a model that has the canopy installed is looking very carefully at the seams where the canopy and windscreen are installed. If there's so much as a tiny opening, I carefully fill it with canopy glue (the kind that dries clear) and then check again after it's dried to make sure it didn't shrink and leave an opening or I missed an opening. Thus far, that's paid dividends. I mention this because I dread masking a cockpit area before airbrushing. 

Very nice build and finish. I've recently finished a 1/72 PRXIX but failed to break up the PRU Blue so it looks a little bland compared to yours.

Love to have something like this on my desk......🤔