Scribing tool

TonyOD

Anyone every used one of these, and if so is it worth getting? While my scribing skills are coming along, scribing cyclindrical fuselages is an absolute PITA. There has to be a better way than Dymotape, right?

spacer.png

Yes I have these - very easy to crease them and render them useless!

To be honest, unless you are lucky enough to match the radius of the curve, you probably need a guide anyway. I do use then for tasks like separating control surfaces as they make an extremely fine cut.

Dynamo tape is a PITA, but it gets better with practice. I tend to slice the tape into thin strips - much easier to get it to conform to curves - even compound curves. Like many modelling tasks, what seems at first to be difficult/onerous it becomes routine with practice. I found that once I was comfortable with scribing, it made filling and sanding easier as you're not so worried about damaging surface detail.

Cheers

Colin

25 minutes ago, uncletommy said:

Keep in mind they're very thin.

Thanks. I'm also keeping it in mind that they're very expensive! I've just been experimenting with regular Tamiya tape, a dsteady hand and very light pressure and the resulkts aren't bad. It's more adhesive and more forgiving. I think maybe something like electrician's tape would be useful.

4 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

'm also keeping it in mind that they're very expensive!

Other brands are available, and might not be so expensive.  I'm sure Radub or someone like that have scribing tools of all sorts.

• Thanks 1