Leyton House F1 car

This is the only car i have built, and was made in my first period of modelling about 15 years ago. Recently found the pictures tucked away on an old hard drive. One thing sticks out in my mind about the build and that was that i really enjoyed doing the CF decaling.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

Very smart,it's a very good job overall,is it Tamiya 1/20?  The bodywork is a very good fit. Chris.

Thanks Chris,

Yes it is a Tamiya 1/20. As far as i remember the monocoque behind the drivers head and the radiator ducting on the main cover were a pig of a fit and needed a fair amount of work

8 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Nice model!

Did you use the kit decals for the green areas or paint them?

Malc.

Thanks Malc,

I painted the green areas. At the time i built this i was using enamels and the paint used was Tamiya Emerald Green #61. I used an aftermarket decal set from Shunko models which had the BP and the other small doodads that sit on the green areas, including the pinstriping. I don't think they are in production any more. You have done me a favour jogging my memory as i have a couple more of these in the stash and always planned to eventually build a "Capelli". I have done a bit of rooting about and there is a set of decals available from Museum Collection Decals, they look quite reasonably priced at 17 Euro (link below), cant vouch for the quality as i haven't previously used any. It looks like they include some decals for the drivers helmets as well.

https://www.dtufousa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=730761

3 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

Museum Collection decals are of excellent quality,Grand Prix Models sell them or used to. How did you find that shop? The Spark and Matrix ready made models are about half their normal price! Chris.

Cheers Chris, i will get a set on order, found the shop just by trawling through a google search results for Leyton House Decals

1 minute ago, Malc2 said:

Hi Tim,

I have got a set of these for my CG901

https://www.indycals.net/decals/f1/90leytonhouse.html (option to have with or without the green areas)

I have used his decals and they are very good.

Malc.

Brilliant, i will have a look

Love this car i had a good look at the real one at Goodworth and got to watch it run it was  an amazing experience the paintwork is brilliant on your model are the seat belts photo etched?  If they are were they easy to do ? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scottey_b said:

Love this car i had a good look at the real one at Goodworth and got to watch it run it was  an amazing experience the paintwork is brilliant on your model are the seat belts photo etched?  If they are were they easy to do ? 

Hi,

The belts were a Tamiya Detail up set, they come with the cloth straps and PE buckles. They were a but fiddly, but overall not much bother. 

As for the car i still reckon it is one of the nicest looking F1 cars ever built, I am a bit biased though as i was fortunate enough to have worked on the real thing during my time as a mechanic at the Leyton House team and have fond memories of it

Nice job: Adrian Newey's finest was the CG 881 IMHO; I have a model of that one (Tameo?) despite F1 not being my thing. But there is no ignoring beauty when one sees it!

Seeing that engine had me thinking of doing a Pilbeam or Gould hill climber too!

• Like 1

Beautiful build - the Detail Up additions really set it off!

I rather dislike the looks of today's F1's, so you won't be surprised to hear me voting this Leyton House as one of the most beautiful race cars built.

You've done  an excellent job on the kit.

:thumbsup::clap2:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kapam said:

Beautiful build - the Detail Up additions really set it off!

I rather dislike the looks of today's F1's, so you won't be surprised to hear me voting this Leyton House as one of the most beautiful race cars built.

You've done  an excellent job on the kit.

:thumbsup::clap2:

Cheers for those kind words,  i really used to enjoy the Australian GP, more so when the races were at Adelaide, some real good memories form there

On 1/29/2021 at 7:57 AM, TimT64 said:

i really used to enjoy the Australian GP, more so when the races were at Adelaide

It should never be forgotten that it was Adelaide that finally put Australia on the F1 map (events-wise) while other capital cities vacillated.

• Like 1

Superb build! I remember these as March/Leyton House were close by in Bletchley (10 miles). I fact I was talking to one of their staff who went there for his first job, when they closed he went to two or three other F1 teams near here as a fabricator/carbon fibre guy.

• Like 1