No Man But Ajax May Vanquish Ajax (1/72 Airfix Spitfire Vc)

I certainly didn't want to imply that the colour scheme was wrong because of a different delivery, just what the original scheme might have been (probably was).  The overall blue (whatever it actually was) was begun and persevered with at Takali, more or less without respect for delivery.

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I certainly didn't want to imply that the colour scheme was wrong because of a different delivery, just what the original scheme might have been (probably was).  The overall blue (whatever it actually was) was begun and persevered with at Takali, more or less without respect for delivery.

No worries, that was my own conclusion. 

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Hate the colour scheme but that is not your fault, Spitfires havent really 'floated the boat' for me for many decades.

Mark 2:7.

This is the first time I've ever used the spray regulator in anger, as it were, and as the possible over-weathering shows, I was quite taken with it. We'll have to see how it looks under a coat or two of varnish. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

PXL_20210801_203320849

Some progress. I glosscoated, used an oil wash to make some fuel streaking around the fuel tank cap and abaft the spinner (the DH props were notoriously finicky on Spitfire Vs), and then thinned some very dark blue Abteilung oils in thinners and used them to do a panel line wash, which has almost totally vanished. For the exhaust stacks, I painted them Alclad aluminium, then glosscoated them, then applied a dark brown oil wash, then glosscoated them, then applied a mixture of rust pigments with a fixative, then glosscoated that and then applied a dark oil wash to delineate between the stacks. Kind of a lot of work for what it is!

Oh, and I put on the spinner, too.

Much of this was made possible by the rebadged food dehydrator I use to dry out ultrasonically cleaned shell casings. It's frankly not very good at that, but it's gangbusters at getting models to cure quickly.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

thinned some very dark blue Abteilung oils in thinners

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

but it's gangbusters at getting models to cure quickly.

I bang on about it, but try thinning oils with lighter fuel, the stuff for Zippo's.   It's a very light petrol/naptha, extremely thin and seeking for washes, and flashes off in like 30 seconds.    I use it straight over Vallejo as well.  

You can move the wash about with brush damped in clean lighter fuel, and I also use it  as medium for ground pastel chalk,  which is interesting, as it goes on dark, and when the LF evaporates,  leaves a fine deposit.  Does not come off easily either. 

I have just completed (Shock! Horror! ) a model, and this is how did the washes and the dust effect, skip over the witter... 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235095700-matchbox-176-morris-c8-mk-ii-17pdr-gun-willys-jeep-set/

Not as applicable for aircraft, except maybe for dusty desert strip ones,  though I find the ground pastel chalk makes good exhaust deposits, especially if not clear coated. 

In short, 'matt' airframes, unless really weathered, are a eggshell finish, oil deposits, unless coated in dust, are sticky and shiny, exhaust deposits are really dead matt, especially from running an engine 'lean'.    So, unless you handle a model a lot, apply oil and exhaust over the final matt coat as this gives you the different sheens, not that visible in photos, but does show up in person. 

as an example,  and I hope not thread clutter...  exhaust deposit is pastel chalk applied with lighter fuel, unsealed,  note the very matt finish compared with the 'matt' varnish.

49927193301_ce224640da_b.jpg

see for more  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073488-spitfire-pr-xix-airfix-72nd-as-i-thought-it-would-be-easy/page/2/#elControls_3698616_menu

Good to see you back at the bench.... hope the pic not too much thread clutter? 

cheers

• Like 7

Dullcoat on, canopy masks off!

PXL_20210802_035644563

PXL_20210802_035725895

I like to think the pictures aren't doing it justice, but it's just possible they're doing it all the justice it deserves, 

I still need to rob a PE rear-view mirror from an Eduard Spitfire F.IX early...I'm reluctant to do it, because all the schemes I want to build have the mirror, but needs must when the devil drives. Then, time to split open the underside of the fuselage insert the tailwheel and main landing gear, and add the radio mast. I should probably put on the dope patches for the .303s as well. Would have been smarter to do that earlier.

• Like 16

Annnnnnd done!

PXL_20210802_233356781

PXL_20210802_233404352

PXL_20210802_233319471

PXL_20210802_233347903

I opted not to install the rear-view mirror, since I'd have to rob another kit for it and I (probably) got the colour wrong (should have been EDSG instead of Mediterranean Blue, I rather think), and you know, just a whole host of other issues. I tried some pigments on the tires to simulate the omnipresent dust and pulverized limestone on Malta, but I fear I greatly overdid it and it just looks like mud. The exhaust stacks turned out very unconvincingly, I think, and I regret using the kit spinner. 

Stuff that did go well: Happy with the airbrushed paint chipping, more or less, and the decals are nice and flat. 

• Like 19

That looks awesome Edward, I like you've done with that. :) 

On 8/2/2021 at 8:39 AM, Procopius said:

dry out ultrasonically cleaned shell casings.

Pop them in the oven on about 50 degrees C, 120 degrees F, an hour or two gets them bone dry but doesn't heat them enough to change the brass strength. I do these with cases I've annealed, give them a good shake out first, not too onerous unless you're doing 100s at a time I guess.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well that turned out sweet PC. I know you're not big on RFI, but I think this one deserves a wider audience than those who already know your wit and wisdom in WIP.

Sorry, I accidentally hit the 'hidden' slider on my previous post and couldn't figure out how to turn it off.

• Thanks 1

RFI thread here: 

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Pop them in the oven on about 50 degrees C, 120 degrees F, an hour or two gets them bone dry but doesn't heat them enough to change the brass strength. I do these with cases I've annealed, give them a good shake out first, not too onerous unless you're doing 100s at a time I guess.

Steve.

Strangely enough, Mrs P isn't too keen on having spent casings in the oven.

Anyway, off to the cabinet with this one. Not sure quite what to do next. A Harvard, maybe? Or possibly a P-40 of some description?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Strangely enough, Mrs P isn't too keen on having spent casings in the oven.

I do it & don't tell mine, she feigns not to notice anything least I suggest she get better acquainted with the oven workings. ;) :D

Does she not listen when you tell her they're inert bits of clean brass & can do no harm? :( 

Steve.

Just now, stevehnz said:

Does she not listen when you tell her they're inert bits of clean brass & can do no harm? :( 

Mrs P is not a woman to confuse with the facts when her mind is made up.

• Haha 7

• 3 weeks later...