No Man But Ajax May Vanquish Ajax (1/72 Airfix Spitfire Vc)

For the fuel filler cap which is slightly recessed, I drill a hole for it then plug it with a disc of plastic card pushing into the the hole so it sits just inside the drilled hole giving it the recessed look. Play around with drill bit sizes and punch sizes to get best fit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Red Dog said:

For the fuel filler cap which is slightly recessed, I drill a hole for it then plug it with a disc of plastic card pushing into the the hole so it sits just inside the drilled hole giving it the recessed look. Play around with drill bit sizes and punch sizes to get best fit.

Excellent tip! One I'll be using on my next build, for certain.

Cheers,

Mark

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Biggest surgery I’ve ever had.

***expletive deleted***, Bill, that is massive surgery! My cousin had something similar, but nowhere near as extensive. Hope you start feeling better quickly and you can get back to that PB4Y ;)

Cheers,

Mark

9 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

***expletive deleted***, Bill, that is massive surgery! My cousin had something similar, but nowhere near as extensive.

Thanks Mark. I tried setting at the workbench yesterday but the chair is no good. My computer chair is great, very ergonomic, but it's not tall enough. I'll get there eventually.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Ah hah. A PC thread is back in production and BM feels more like it’s old self :D

23 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Welcome back buddy, I've missed you tremendously!! We all have. Truly sorry for your current issues

Likewise.

23 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

This one was a doozy, fusing four levels and five vertebrae T10 to L2. Have a look at the human spine online and check it out – I am now fused all the way from T10 to S1 (tailbone). Distance wise, it looks to be over half of my spine. Solid bone, and lots of screws, plates, and rods. Aye-aye-aye. Biggest surgery I’ve ever had.

Congrats on beating your personal surgical record Bill :D……..  🤞 for a speedy recovery.

• Like 5

Welcome back PC, so great to hear from you. Sorry that you and family seem to have had a bad start to the year, but as Cookie rightly commented, a Spitfire build can lift the spirits!

Terry

• Like 2

Edward I am so sorry you have both had such an awful time and sorrier that it has taken me 'til now to be able to offer my condolence for your sad loss.

Truly sorry but in my feeble and very meagre defence you probably realise I am not much of a Spitfirebuildista so I was unaware of the evil times you had.

(Spitty looking very nicely progressed though, by the way.)

Nice gun mate, nice gun.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 1:52 AM, Navy Bird said:

fusing four levels and five vertebrae T10 to L2.

Bloody hell Bill, my best wishes for a speedy recovery! 

Ian 

Ps I suppose yoga is "right out of the question"! Sorry, couldn't resist a Python quote! Chin up!

• Haha 2

On 30/06/2021 at 11:25, Brandy said:

Bloody hell Bill, my best wishes for a speedy recovery! 

Ian 

Ps I suppose yoga is "right out of the question"! Sorry, couldn't resist a Python quote! Chin up!

My daughter is an orthopaedic PA and is changing the bandage every day. She thought it would be a great idea to take a photo of the incision so I could see it. Bloody hell indeed! It must be 14-15 inches long.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Tis but a scratch! Just a flesh wound.

• Haha 10

Bloody hell. 😔 Sounds like you have been dealt some harsh cards this year my good man. My condolences for your families loss.  BM feels like a family of sorts and I wish I could do more to help.

The little ‘uns seem to be coming on leaps and bounds judging by the photos you’ve shared.  So it’s not all doom an gloom. The spitfire build is looking good too. Drunk modeling though? 😳 I’m not sure how I feel about that. Makes me twitch. 🙀🤪

Take care kidda.

All the best.

Johnny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

What's this?!? Some actual progress?

Well, okay, not very much, but the canopy is masked now.

PXL_20210723_042127321

I managed to stab myself in the leg while using a scalpel to prise the masks from their backing, so clearly I've lost none of my skill at the modeller's art. Mercifully the blade was too blunt to pierce my rubbery hide. 

I remain tired and worn down this year. I don't know quite what's wrong with me, but it's very wearying to have nothing really wrong and to not actually suffer and to still want to sort of vaguely complain. 

Grant, now almost four, gave me a bit of a scare today when he hit upon the bright idea to take a necklace, put it around his neck, attach it to a coat hanger, hook the coat hanger to the bannister, and then fall off the steps so that he was for a short period of time, inadvertently lynching himself. Fortunately, the whole improvised contraption gave way under Grant (known as G-Bug or Banty around the house)'s quite amazing density. For someone who's almost boneless in his floppiness (he's been compared to a large sentient chicken breast), Grant is heavy, mercifully so in this case.

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

Today/Friday was supposed to be my monthly date night with Mrs P, but this morning Winston threw up on the couch while watching TV, and then decided TV was more important than letting us know, so he continued throwing up until one of us walked over to see how he was doing.

There's not much more pathetic than a sick five year old, and also not many things on this earth less likely to elicit sympathy than someone who refuses to throw up in a receptacle, even when begged, and both Mrs P and I said and did things we're not proud of in the heat of the moment. I have never felt like less of a man than when threatening a sick child with serious, irreversible physical injury if he didn't lean over the toilet we'd carried him to. Parenting is an adventure.

PXL_20210723_140313220

After falling asleep in the above command post for a few hours, he emerged, looking like hammered crap, and cheerily informed us he was much better. Uh-huh. So Mrs P and I didn't go to the wine bar tonight, but I did work on the Spitfire, and we bought five dollar margaritas whose cheapness is equaled only by their truly astounding potency from a take-out place. Mrs P was last seen wobbling off to bed, and likely won't be seen again until the early afternoon.

Anyway!

I took @Red Dog's excellent advice on the fuel filler cap, and I think it should do nicely. I drilled it out with a 1/16" bit (all I had handy) in a pin vice, then punched out a 1.6mm circle of card and caaaaaaaarefully pushed it down into the hole.

PXL_20210724_045700972

If it ends up looking bad, I shall lay all the blame on his broad shoulders, of course.

• Like 23

Agree completely with Steve.

Parenting is rocky road, or perhaps lego-strewn stairs might be more apposite. We've all done/said things to our offspring that in hindsight we're not proud of, particularly when we're tired. The best thing is to chalk it up to experience and crack on.

Speaking of which, the Spitfire is coming together very nicely. I like the filler cap idea: a small detail admittedly, but distinctive. Have you got plans for a windscreen mirror?

Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing the next instalment.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Speaking of which, the Spitfire is coming together very nicely. I like the filler cap idea: a small detail admittedly, but distinctive. Have you got plans for a windscreen mirror?

I was thinking of robbing some spares from an Eduard kit, in fact!

• Like 5

Yes, great progress on the Spitfire.

Bad luck with the sick child. Been there and got many badges on that score. The worst I can recall was upper bunk sickness permeating almost instantly down to the lower bunk followed by lower bunk shrieks from the two occupants at that time sleeping head to toe .............😱. The worst of that event was that the two down below were just sleeping that way for fun. There was a third vacant bed in that same room. Such wonderful memories!

Wishing Winston a speedy recovery.

Terry

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

The worst I can recall was upper bunk sickness permeating almost instantly down to the lower bunk...

Similar experience with my two daughters way back when, only the "sickness" flowed down the wall from the upper bunk to the baseboard. The next day I was unexpectedly painting the wall.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 4
  • Sad 4

Child sickness ugh… you have my sympathy and empathy. Interesting moments on way home after hols somewhere hot. Just before landing on packed package holiday jet, my daughter (10/11 at the time) vomited then fainted. Panicked wife/ mother sat next to her drew my attention to daughter’s plight. I manage to get around to their side (I was sat with the other kids a row ahead) and try to rouse her etc. Hosty comes over with a cup of water and promptly disappears when Captain announces ’ten minutes to landing’. That ten minutes passed very quickly and before I knew it I was in the footwell between the seats lying in someone else’s sick. Daughter - now semi-awake - was fine, lying on her back across the three seats with me holding her feet up, she managed to brace herself somehow and stayed put. It took ages for me to wiggle and slide out all while the plane was taxiing etc. 

I very sheepishly left the aircraft to sympathetic glances from the crew & other passengers. 

Three things I learnt from this experience: don’t give kids hot drinks on aircraft when they’re already hot and bothered, not matter how much they plead. An airliner’s deceleration is pretty awesome. Airliner seat belts should always be worn on landing. 

• Like 7

Go ahead Procopius the shoulders as you say are fairly broad, but I'm sure it'll work out for a fairly decent result.

Looking good.

• Like 1

Well blimey.

Somebody please remind me not to become a father* these days, much preferred the days when loving brutality didn't draw down the wrath of the United Nations Of Blamers And Associated Angry Folks.

Spitfire looking like a Spitsfire should and sorry date night went askew PC (Bet it's your fault...)[tee shirts available]

;)

*to be honest that has already been covered

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Go ahead Procopius the shoulders as you say are fairly broad, but I'm sure it'll work out for a fairly decent result.

How right you were!

PXL_20210725_230106252

It needs a bit of sanding, but I think we're on the right track here. I am in your debt.

19 hours ago, perdu said:

sorry date night went askew PC (Bet it's your fault...)[tee shirts available]

Nope, Mrs P laid the blame squarely on Winston. She was so angry she dropped about six or eight big big Fs in front of Grant, who said "mommy, you're scaring me". "GOOD," she snarled. She is much better now, the margaritas helped.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:28 PM, rich2010 said:

Just before landing on packed package holiday jet...

Somewhere in the middle of this anecdote I retreated into a protective fugue state. This is why I refuse to fly with the children.

• Like 8

So I forgot how truly amazing micromesh is at smoothing things out, and when my new sheets of it arrived today, I learned anew. Joins vanished beneath its relentless assault.

Of course, lighting conditions are poor, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

PXL_20210727_013414606

Smooth! Like butter! 

Feeling a bit chuffed, I reprimed, as seen above, then hunted around for my tin of Colourcoats Sky Blue. I then panicked because it wasn't in my paint drawers, only to realize that Past Edward had been thoughtful for once, and put it on the workbench. For once in his life, that selfish jerk thought of Future Edward. Not many people think of Future Edward, certainly not Mrs P, who is obsessing over having a third child, as if the first two weren't more than anyone could ever want or need. (However, she is doing a huge favour for Present Edward by heading off to Michigan with the kids tomorrow for ten magical days. Farewell and good riddance to my offspring. Tonight as I was reading to him, Grant told me I wasn't his father and that I killed his father, so possibly no more Star Wars for him.)

PXL_20210727_021816284

In any case, the Colourcoats went on well, as it always does, though Sky Blue is hard to distinguish from Mr Surfacer 1000 primer at the best of times. Once it dries, it will be masked and then we'll use Roundel Blue for the upper surfaces.

Refresh my memory: did the Malta Spitfires used the DH spinners or Rotol or was it a mix? For some reason my brain muddled up the fact that Sea Hurricane Is used DH spinners invariably with the idea that they were somehow better suited for all aircraft taking off from carriers, which can't be right.

• Like 15

DH propellers were heavier than Rotol ones. On Sea Hurricanes this helped to compensate for the weight of the arrester hook.

Don't know about Malta Spitfires though.

John. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Malta Spitfires are seen with both.  The earlier ones will have been mainly DH as they were Supermarine-built.

Sky Blue looks nothing like Mr, Surfacer primer, or the colour in your photo.  Perhaps that is Sky?  Two different colours, and one unlikely to be seen on overseas Spitfires.  Azure Blue is the likeliest colout for the undersides.  Sky Blue is sometimes mentioned but this may be a colloquial term for any light blue rather than the very pale AM colout Sky Blue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1