No Man But Ajax May Vanquish Ajax (1/72 Airfix Spitfire Vc)

On 18/01/2021 at 23:15, Procopius said:

-- Homer, The Iliad, XV (trans. A S Kline)

Tony Kline's translation of the Iliad is quite good, one of my favourites. I think I have downloaded everything he has at his Poetry in Translation website. Highly unusual in today's day to see someone have such a passion for what he's doing, and then give away his work for free. Makes me feel guilty every time I download something. Thank goodness he has a Donate button.

I'm anxious to see how you like this new kit. I have the old Sword Vc, which doesn't look half bad but I don't know about its fit or accuracy. I don't like the sound of the puff-pastry plastic you mention though. Reminds me of the old Airfix 1:72 Javelin I built.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

I have started the Sword Mk.Vc and it seems to go together well.  (Wings are on fuselage.)  The wing span is a little short for accuracy but not noticeably so once assembled.  This appears to be a common flaw on recent Czech Spitfire kits. 

The plastic for the new Airfix kit appears to be much the same as other recent Airfix kits, which is fine by me, but I haven't done more than detach major pieces from the runners and put aside the parts I don't need. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2021 at 11:48 AM, Navy Bird said:

Tony Kline's translation of the Iliad is quite good, one of my favourites.

I quite agree, I really like his translations. 

On 1/23/2021 at 11:48 AM, Navy Bird said:

I'm anxious to see how you like this new kit. I have the old Sword Vc, which doesn't look half bad but I don't know about its fit or accuracy. I don't like the sound of the puff-pastry plastic you mention though.

I've built a few of the Sword Vc kits (including Seafires, I think four or five), so I feel like I can weigh in a little here. The interior detail of the Sword kit is finer, but the fit is substantially worse in every aspect. It's a kit that requires a lot of sanding. 

Tonight I put the belts on and closed up the little cockpit sabot:

PXL_20210125_013518754

Then cemented it into place:

PXL_20210125_015317861

And closed up the fuselage.

PXL_20210125_015724665

Then I put the wings on. Here I encountered the first substantial gaps so far in this build, at the wing roots.

PXL_20210125_025423420

And where the underbelly gull-wing effect meets the rear fuselage:

PXL_20210125_025431201

I added the Vokes filter.

PXL_20210125_022832434

And some Mr Dissolved Thinner and Perfect Plastic Putty for the fuselage seam and the wing gap, respectively:

PXL_20210125_032214634

And some Mr Surfacer 500 for the underbelly:

PXL_20210125_034222577

• Like 22

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Then I put the wings on. Here I encountered the first substantial gaps so far in this build, at the wing roots.

Hi Edward,

Good progress. Your cockpit tub looks great and the FM belts are very effective.

Interesting about your fuselage to wing fit, as this seems to be something that some folk have an issue with and some don't. 

I'm doing one of these at the moment, and the fit on mine was nigh-on perfect. BUT..... I sort of ignored the instructions and glued the cockpit sidewalls to the fuselage halves rather than building up the tub. If anyone goes down this route, just a word of caution. You need to be careful with the alignment of the cockpit sidewalls, otherwise the bulkheads/frames don't go in properly and the fuselage won't close properly, causing the frame behind the seat to compress and distort, which I thankfully spotted in time.

What I did was to glue one sidewall to its fuselage half first, then dry fit the frames and dry fit the second sidewall. Then I dry fitted the second fuselage half and finally glued the second sidewall to the second fuselage half, being careful to not flood the whole assembly with glue. Hope that makes sense! You do end up with a gap between the bottom of the two sidewall halves, so the locating block on the bottom of the "floor" is left floating, but the frames and "floor" still locate positively into their respective points in the sidewalls.

I did have the gap in the lower fuselage behind the lower wing as well, which I've filled with PPP and several coats of Stynylrez primer as I haven't got any Mr Surfacer; I also had a small gap between the two halves of the fin. Should've clamped it.....!

Hope that's of interest.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Somehow missed this until now, but it looks like I can duck in before the usher shuts the door...

I've yet to get my hands on one of these, but I'm dying to! I've seen a couple builds of this kit already and the consensus seems to be that the fit is good, but the wing root gap has cropped up a couple of times.  I appreciate the nice close-up photos -- thanks!   I can't wait to see what you do with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, opus999 said:

Somehow missed this until now, but it looks like I can duck in before the usher shuts the door...

I've yet to get my hands on one of these, but I'm dying to! I've seen a couple builds of this kit already and the consensus seems to be that the fit is good, but the wing root gap has cropped up a couple of times.  I appreciate the nice close-up photos -- thanks!   I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Its a really nice kit, highly recommend it!

Cheers,

Mark 

Sorry for the lack of updates, folks. Our new house's 35-year-old furnace died earlier this week, and had to be replaced with a new one to the tune of $3,000 dollars, and then today Mrs P was clearly feeling poorly, and so I finally persuaded her to go to urgent care at the hospital, who promptly sent her to the ER, who informed her that...she's six weeks pregnant (as you know, the best time to have a baby is after a major financial outlay). But they can't pick up a heartbeat (not uncommon at six weeks) and Mrs P has been bleeding from a secret place for two weeks, so we have to go back in a week to see if she's actually pregnant, or more along the lines of Mary, Queen of Scots or something a little more tragic. So now we wait. 

So this is kind of a tense time here at Castle Hedgehog! 

• Sad 22

Number 2 Stepdaughter just had her pregnancy confirmed and is at a similar stage. Everyone in the family is keeping their fingers crossed all goes well.

Your good lady, you, and the boys have my best wishes, Edward.

Steve

It's looking like it's a miscarriage, I'm afraid. We weren't expecting or prepared for another child right now, but we're both still sad that we won't have a chance to meet this one. 

• Sad 26

So sorry, Edward. My wife and I went through this same scenario in-between our first and second child, and I know how you both must feel. Stay strong and stay safe - our thoughts are with you.

Bill

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the news Edward my wife lost four before we had our first so know what your going through.

Our thoughts are with you both

Stay safe            Roger