Something to shoot at, Iraqi Mil Mi-24 Hind.

Seeing as most of you are building stuff from the coalition I thought I would give you all something to shoot at or drop things on. I need this to be a fairly quick build due to other GB commitments so that means 1/72 scale and that drastically reduces my list of possibilities, no bad thing as it helps with focusing the mind. I ended up going for a HobbyBoss Mi-24 Hind D which I have had for a while. Now while this isn't as accurate as the Zvezda kit (hasn't got the anti-torque kink to the fuselage after the cockpit, just like all the other Hind kits) it looks good, has decent detailing, comes with a shed load of whizz bangery and has Iraqi markings, result! 

So lets have a look shall we, starting with the box art;

spacer.png

Nice box art, shame that the Russian Hind portrayed with the Shark on it is actually a Hind F with the twin cannon on the side of the fuselage rather than under nose turret, but that has no effect on this build at all.

The bags of plasticy goodness;

spacer.png

All as yet unopened.

And the kit supplied scheme which is identical to that worn during 1991;

spacer.png

I hope to make a start on this very soon as my Phantom for the Interceptors GB is nearly done and as I said I have other commitments looming so the sooner I start the better. I will also be building her with the troop cabin closed up rather than detailing it to help save some time and with no added extras either, not that they are really needed in this scale other than seat belts and I will have a crack at making them myself.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms and advice is gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

A good choice and don't worry there maybe another of the enemy in this GB.

I'm doing an Iraqi MiG-21, but will scarper at the first sign of trouble and leave your Hind to get blown out of the sky.

• Haha 3

Love the hind. They seem to be all over the place atm :)

50489608376_c99cf34929_c.jpgThis is the one I built last year.  1/48 mini hobby In Peruvian colours. There’s a thread to have an STGB next year too.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Jabba said:

A good choice and don't worry there maybe another of the enemy in this GB.

12 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Very nice with an Iraqi Hind as contrats to the coalition forces 👍 

Cheers Guys, got to give the opposition a little representation at least.

10 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I'm doing an Iraqi MiG-21, but will scarper at the first sign of trouble and leave your Hind to get blown out of the sky.

Thanks Tony, I think!!

9 hours ago, John Masters said:

Nice!  I'm building one too, but a different serial...

Then I am in excellent company.👍

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

Love the hind.

As do I Marklo, your Peruvian looks fantastic, especially the huge shark mouth. I have signed up for the potential GB, and plan on building a couple for the Africa GB which starts soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Managed to get some painting done on the cockpit and cabin areas yesterday, I have to say that this is a very well detailed cockpit, especially for 1/72 scale and with careful painting will result in a very convincing looking replica of the real thing. Here is an overview of how she looks so far;

spacer.png

Managed to get a nice worn look to the cockpit floor and the rear cabin. Here is a closer look at the cockpit area;

spacer.png

The blue colour used is actually a very cheap acrylic by "Anita's acrylic craft paint" which you can pick up in places like Hobbycraft and The Works (when they re-open) really cheaply (around £1 I think), the colour is called Ocean Blue 11056 and is a perfect match for the colour I have seen used in lots of pictures of Hind cockpits. I have also used it on the pilots instrument panel and port side consoles which have been completed and are shown below;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The rear bulkhead and cabin roof have also been done and are again very nicely moulded other than pin marks on the inner face of the bulkhead, yes you have guessed it the other side is perfectly smooth! But as the cabin will be closed up and everything probably invisible so I left them;

spacer.png

If I was having this area open I would be adding some of the wires and cabling visible on the real thing.

That is how she looks at the minute, I shall try to get the seats done today and the cockpit area completed. Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 11

Looking good Craig and thanks for the tip about Anita's acrylic paint.  I've used a couple of artist's acrylic paints from Hobbycraft in the past and was surprised to find that they sprayed really well.  As you say, they're really cheap compared with model paints :).

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Looking good Craig and thanks for the tip about Anita's acrylic paint.  I've used a couple of artist's acrylic paints from Hobbycraft in the past and was surprised to find that they sprayed really well.  As you say, they're really cheap compared with model paints :).

Cheers Cliff, yes those paints do work well and I have sprayed them before. They even do a colour that is a good match for the usual Soviet aircraft cockpit colour.

Thanks Jabba, John, Pappy and Glynn.

I have to say that I really like this kit and rate it very highly, no real problems at all so far and some good moulded detail by HobbyBoss.

I have spent some more time on her and have managed to get the fuselage halves together, a couple of important steps before that are adding the glazing to the fuselage halves and doors, fitting the doors and fitting the main wheel wells, all of which went without a hitch. I stuffed a little weight behind the cockpit area into a small space that will not be visible and then it was time to join everything up, and again no issues here at all and you get something like this;

spacer.png

As you can see the engine compartment has also been fitted, here's a closer look;

spacer.png

It's not completely glued in place yet but should be okay when finished.

And a look at the wheel well, quite nicely detailed;

spacer.png

And a look at the completed cockpit in the closed up fuselage;

spacer.png

One of the few areas that could be better is the way that HobbyBoss have tackled the top of the tail boom where there are some aerials, they have moulded the aerials in place which has led to some curious divots by them, this is what it looks like;

spacer.png

Nothing a little filler can't deal with, just need to wait for it to dry before sanding smooth.

The one other area which isn't very good is the very noticeable mould seam which runs along the top of the canopies;

spacer.png

Not the clearest picture (sorry) but you get the idea, this has been sanded back and the canopy polished smooth again and has now been dipped in Klear. Next job will be to finish the engine compartment and if the canopy is okay to mask it and fit to the fuselage.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 11