Hasegawa 1/48th F-15A Eagle 'ASAT' - Hi-Grade Series

The first one over the line for this year is the Hasegawa F-15A Eagle 'ASAT'. It might be an old kit compared to some modern tooling's but it's still a lovely kit to build.

On September 13th 1985 an F-15A piloted by Maj. Wilbert Pearson took off from Edwards Air Force base and climbed to 35,000 feet before launching a missile which carried on upwards before hitting and destroying a satellite in orbit. 

I’ve tried to build ‘Celestial Eagle’ as it was on that day complete with a live ASAT missile instead of the usual inert one.

This one comes with a lot of extras in the box including etch for the cockpit and exhausts, white metal wheels and undercarriage legs. I still managed to add a few bits though:

Eduard - Interior etch set

Aires - Ejection seats

Hobbydecal - AOA Probes

All the main colours came from Hataka and the rest were Vallejo Model Air, both sprayed beautifully as usual. Gloss coat provided by an ever dwindling supply of future, followed by 10-11 hours of Two Bobs decals. Why do we put ourselves through the torture of stencils? Lastly some dark dirt from Flory Models and a Matt coat by Xtracrylix Matt Varnish.

I have to say that it really was an enjoyable build for the Interceptors group build and now just got to decide what to build next.

On with some pictures:

XQYzKyd.jpg?1

E5VWaEg.jpg?1

hq702EO.jpg?1

rpDXsPX.jpg?1

M7yacCg.jpg?1

aMrjqHr.jpg?1

le5zjlU.jpg?1

IfxoZUh.jpg?1

vL30yQ7.jpg?1

byJh20a.jpg?1

piuUCJp.jpg?1

HRxcqGD.jpg?1

eQQNdfc.jpg?1

2GP169r.jpg?1

As always comments and critique welcome.

Pete  

Edited by Peter W
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Stunning build, paint and weathering mate, very realistic - looks like you could jump right in and fly her!

Interesting to read up a bit on the ASAT as well, I had never heard of this before, that must have been one hell of a flight to launch it :)

1 hour ago, amos brierley said:

I think I built this kit  around 1987.   You’ve really done this justice, lovely.     😉

Hi Amos - I think that I left it in the stash to mature a bit longer than you but got there in the end. I’ve got a few more to get around too at some time too but don’t think that I can leave them for another 33 years, not unless I’m planning on being the oldest modeller in the world ever 😂

Thanks to everyone else too for popping in and taking the time to leave a comment or like.

Pete

• Thanks 1