Kitty Hawk 1/48 FJ-2 Fury

Here is my recently completed Kitty Hawk 1/48 FJ-2 Fury.  The markings are from Caracal's second FJ-2 sheet.  Paints are MRP International Orange 232, Gunze Mr Color Insignia White 316 and Insignia Red 327.  From Hypersonic Models I used their ejection seat and cockpit details and nose gear.  I used CAT4 resin wheels.

50840033911_fbc0af5861_h.jpg

50840120417_918f97afb4_h.jpg

50840033756_788e570759_h.jpg

50840120227_9bc05a4706_h.jpg

50840033571_6268f27b61_h.jpg

50839206283_98d71bd930_h.jpg

50839206168_ff4544f65d_h.jpg

50839206078_1cebe833a2_h.jpg

50839930711_8aaff88a00_h.jpg

Edited by Corey in Colorado
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 1

Yes very impressive build there, only thing that I would say is how much pressure in those tyres must be well overinflated. However if mine was as good as this I:would be celebrating with a nice Pint🍺

sammy

• Thanks 1

Any positive adjective cannot accurately describe just how impressive and beautiful this particular Fury is.  I compliment your skills and attention to detail.  :worthy:

Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

That is a stunning build and a very good representation of a hard scheme to execute. Can I ask how you masked it?

Will

Will, I did it the old fashioned way, I used Tamiya tape laid out on a green mat, cut with a French curve and an xacto knife.  It wasn’t hard, just took some time.  It’s certainly not perfect, I feel I could have made the fuselage curve over the wing better, and the “swish” on the tail isn’t 100% correct.

3 hours ago, sammy da fish said:

Yes very impressive build there, only thing that I would say is how much pressure in those tyres must be well overinflated. However if mine was as good as this I:would be celebrating with a nice Pint🍺

sammy

That’s a good critique Sammy!  I usually sand a bit off the bottom wheels but I think I just forgot this time.  I didn’t realize it until you mentioned it!  :)

2 hours ago, keithjs said:

Very nice indeed! Interesting colour for the ejection seat?

North American used this weird experimental cockpit color for their FJ-2’s (not sure about FJ-3’s).  I guess it wasn’t popular because it wasn’t used in many other aircraft in the US.

I used AK Soviet Cockpit Turquoise with a little blue mixed in.  This ended up being very bright, so I knocked it down with a black wash and matte clear coat.

Edited by Corey in Colorado

That is a stunning build and a very good representation of a hard scheme to execute. Can I ask how you mask

1 hour ago, Corey in Colorado said:

Will, I did it the old fashioned way, I used Tamiya tape laid out on a green mat, cut with a French curve and an xacto knife.  It wasn’t hard, just took some time.  It’s certainly not perfect, I feel I could have made the fuselage curve over the wing better, and the “swish” on the tail isn’t 100% correct.

Very impressive. I hope the FJ3 that I have ordered is as nice as this kit to build

• Thanks 1