1:72 Airfix MiG-15

Geo

Hi all,

Thought I'd show off my first build of 2021, an Airfix MiG-15 in 1/72nd scale. I've had this kit in my pile of shame for the best part of ten years, so finally getting round to it at long last. Always loved MiGs, and this one came out around when I started hobbying back in 2009. Have to say, reading up on the kit meant seeing the wide ranging problems with the kit; not to scale, panel lines too deep, poor fitting parts, the works. Not a bad kit if you aren't overly concerned about a few mm here and there, and I think it tidies up nicely. C&C is appreciated, not only is this my first scale build in 2021, it's my first since Christmas 2018, so a bit rusty trying to keep things realistic! Hopefully I've gotten the photo adding correct, if not someone say!

- Geo

1092723_sm-1%252F72%2C%20Aircraft%2C%20A

1092724_sm-1%252F72%2C%20Aircraft%2C%20A

1092725_sm-1%252F72%2C%20Aircraft%2C%20A

1092726_sm-1%252F72%2C%20Aircraft%2C%20A

1092727_sm-1%252F72%2C%20Aircraft%2C%20A

1092728_sm-1%252F72%2C%20Aircraft%2C%20A

1092729-1%252F72%2C%20Aircraft%2C%20Airf

• Like 26

Most kits may suffer the slings and arrows of criticism, the earlier 'new' Airfix kits perhaps gave critics more reason that they should, but your model looks every whatever scale inch a Mig 15.

The 'metallic' colour looks very nice for a well used aircraft; what did you use for the paint?

As an aside there are lots of products available which can be used for aerial wire, and of course there is good old stretched sprue.  Your aerial could, perhaps, be a little thinner.

• Like 2

Thanks Natter, I appreciate the feedback, I'll have to go looking for some aerial wire, I had used some stretched sprue but it kept snapping if I stretched it any thinner. I'll learn for next time.

The metal colour is Vallejo Metal Color white aluminium, which was initially shiny until I hit it with matte varnish and it dulled it down to the results you see here. Not sure if I preferred it as a shiny aircraft or a dulled one, but I can't go back now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geo said:

I'll have to go looking for some aerial wire,

Cracking build that! I do like Russian jets...

I use this elastic thread stuff, the 1/72 version is ridiculously fine but it's very easy to work with. Uschi something or other.

[Quick google...] here you go.

https://www.uschivdr.com/products-in-detail/rigging/ 

• Like 1

Thank you kindly gents and thank you TonyOD for the link to the rigging wire, I'll be getting myself a spool of the superfine stuff for sure!

On 1/18/2021 at 8:09 PM, Geo said:

Thank you kindly gents and thank you TonyOD for the link to the rigging wire, I'll be getting myself a spool of the superfine stuff for sure!

May I suggest you go for the Fine thread. I bought some Superfine but its so difficult to see and therefore locate that I've gone to the larger size. Still v thin and maybe slightly out of scale, not that you'd notice,  but much much easier to handle.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the kind words, glad to see the silver bodywork worked out even if it was somewhat by accident!

@Properjob56 thanks for the tip, I was debating on going for the thicker one as I could use the same wire interchangeably between different scales.