F/A-18 Hornet RAAF (Italeri 1:72)

Hi Nigel. Hope you are keeping well. Looks like a good kit. I'm not a big fan of modern aircraft modelling but I do like the look of the Hornet. Looking forward to seeing your build in progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 4:09 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The Bug is shaping up to be a nice choice for this build, Welcome Nigel. 

Thanks Dennis :happy:

On 1/20/2021 at 9:59 AM, bianfuxia said:

Actually looks like a pretty decent kit - at least unlike the Hasegawa one it comes with a wider range of missiles!

The Swiss scheme is awesome though! 

Just the AIM9-Ls will be used here. Not mad on building missiles so the fewer the better for me! :laugh:

On 1/21/2021 at 9:53 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Hope you are keeping well. Looks like a good kit. I'm not a big fan of modern aircraft modelling but I do like the look of the Hornet. Looking forward to seeing your build in progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

Hi Stix, I've not had a huge amount of luck with modern jet builds but thought I'd have another go. I need the practice; I have a Tamiya 1:48 F14-D waiting for me later in the year :tmi:

• Like 2

Looks more like something from a Star Wars film but I've added some details and joined the two halves. I've also cleaned up a lot of the larger parts ready for assembly.

Just need to decide on wheels-up or wheels-down (hence stand on bench). Any thoughts?

2kvPD8r%5D

2kvUF7e%5D

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Looks more like something from a Star Wars film but I've added some details and joined the two halves. I've also cleaned up a lot of the larger parts ready for assembly.

Just need to decide on wheels-up or wheels-down (hence stand on bench). Any thoughts?

2kvPD8r%5D

2kvUF7e%5D

Hi Nigel

I woder to ask from where did you got those model presses??? I saw them from time to time but unable to get some of them

Cheers 

Armando

PD I just found this at Air Graphics

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/ac-016-raaf-fa-18a-suu-63-pylon-with-bol-dispenser

2 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

Hi Nigel

I woder to ask from where did you got those model presses??? I saw them from time to time but unable to get some of them

Cheers 

Armando

Hi Armando,

If you Google "Berna Multiclamp" you'll find a few places to purchase from  :smile:

Cheers

Quick 'dry fit' picture.

The nose and upper half of the fuselage are fixed to the tub but that's it at the moment. She's taken shape quite quickly due to the low parts count.

I now need to make my mind up on the wheels! Up or Down? :think:

2kwNDg1%5D

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Got a pilot for the 'pit Nigel? If so I say wheels up :pilot:

Hi Col, Er, no, no pilot. Guess that means I need to sort the wheels out!! 

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well thats come together quickly, nice work so far. 

Hi Dennis, Thank you. Yep, not many parts but they did take some cleaning up!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Col, Er, no, no pilot. Guess that means I need to sort the wheels out!! 

Drat. Want a spare Airfix jockey?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Nigel

That looks a lovely kit, and it coming together beautifully. 

Best of luck with this one 

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat :happy: The kit taken a fair bit of cleaning up but hasn't required too much filler. She ready for paining now so I just need to find some time :waiting:

Time found for some painting. I've painted the legs and wells, primered the fuselage and also put the top colours on the tails. Think I'll decal the tails before putting the rest of the colour on :wonder:

2kEFyeu%5D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Though I'd drop in a quick update. This stalled due to the following:

Phone rings; it's my youngest calling from Uni: Dad, will you build a model for one of my mates?

Me: Depends, what is it?

My son: Dunno but I gave him our address and it's arriving tomorrow. Oh, and can he have it in time for his birthday on 25th March??

Anyhow, that was 2 weeks ago and the kit (1:72 Buccaneer, Airfix) is at the gloss and decal stage so this F18 is now being done in parallel.

2kLpJqU%5D

The upper-side looks a bit dark but I'm not going to stress. The kit isn't particularly detailed and is a pure fun build for me; just a nice excuse to to be part of the GB  :happy:

• Like 1