Help Needed! Mig3 interior color?

Tokyo Raider

Hi Brits...  Bob here from USA.  I am wanting to build a Mig3 next as my first model of a Russian plane!  I want to do 'For the Motherland' classic winter white Mig3 from the famous photo on delivery Feb 1942...  

My Trumpeter kit calls out GERMAN RLM02 primer color for the interior color...  I was suprised by this.  I am just learning about the russian colors, and have some model air colors for other russian plane kits...  they call out A14 Steel grey for interior color.  What is the CORRECT interior color to use on a late Mig3?

Thanks for your help.  I am in urgent need of help, trying to build on a day off today!

Everything you need to know about VVS colours and the MiG 3 in particular

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/mig3/mig3.html

The cockpit area would be a mixture of A-14 (Grey) for details and a light blue colour for the cockpit walls, the rear of the fuselage would be bare wood.

I built the Trumpeter 1/32 MiG 3 a long time ago (2015) with Massimo's help with the colours, the build is here.

Edit, From Massimo's site

spacer.png

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with all above. If its the 1:48 kit, be warned about the fit of the panels around the wing intakes and upper cowl is not the best and will require lots of trial and error but in the end works out

2 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Agree with all above. If its the 1:48 kit, be warned about the fit of the panels around the wing intakes and upper cowl is not the best and will require lots of trial and error but in the end works out

Yes, its the Trumpter 1/48 Mig3.  I got aftermarket prop and spinner, aftermarket exhausts and aftermarket belly radiator...

Do you guys think the old ICM Mig3 kit is better than Trumpeter?

Haven't built the ICM kit but I've built two Trumpeter ones and aside from the above mentioned issues, enjoyed them. One minor issue that also cropped up was the placement of the radio deck in the instructions. In the instructions it looks like the front of the deck is attached to the bulkhead but in fact the front mounts on two small tabs on the fuselage sides

img_0001-jpg.495853

img_0002-jpg.495854

Edited by fubar57
  • Like 1

I built Trumpeter's early version MiG-3 some years ago. Aside from IMHO the need to modify the exhaust area (closer to the late version as engineered) and to fill/smooth the grossly exaggerated fabric control surfaces, the radio mast is literally half sized; I replaced it with a part from the ICM kit.

I totally forgot about the exhaust area and agree with Seawinder. What I did was remove the area with a fine saw...

1-jpg.496297

And then file and sand to the approximate shape. Glued it on and filled in the gaps. This is how it looked and where I ended up. Not perfect but better

img_0004-jpg.496376

img_0003-jpg.496375

....and finished. Sorry for the thread hijacking

006-jpg.504110

Hey Fubar...  I see now what you tried to change, that hood over the first exhaust stack.  It still looks thick and is too short from what photos I have seen on late Mig3's.  I think i can manage fixing that hood, and its important to do as i am trying to make the red arrow decal fit around it.  

I will try and do this Mig3 kit...  reshaping that hood.  Your pictures are very valuable and thanks for posting.

I have studied the excellent resources and have the colors for cockpit understood.  I still have an issue with cockpit floor.

I can use the RLM02 for the green gray primer for the floor, called ALG-5 primer.

However I have seen photos where the seat and floor are a dark green resembling fs34102.  Which do you think would be better?

Thanks!

Ahhh, you're building the late version MiG-3 with the longer exhaust shroud. The one above is the early version with the shorter exhaust shroud and yes it is still a bit on the thick side. I also built the late version and painted the seat and floor Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green. I painted the side-walls Gunze Sangyo H67-RLM65. The boxes were painted dark green though they could also be black, I got this from Massimo's very fine site

1588374661392-png.579660

Edited by fubar57

Hi, 

this page depicts well the differences in the cowling and exhaust stacks between early and late MiG-3

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/mig3/latemig-3.html

There should be also some visible difference in the shape of the division line between horizontal stabilizers and elevators, but it's not clear if the outer shape of the horizontal tail surfaces changed. 

Regards

Massimo

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Ahhh, you're building the late version MiG-3 with the longer exhaust shroud. The one above is the early version with the shorter exhaust shroud and yes it is still a bit on the thick side. I also built the late version and painted the seat and floor Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green. I painted the side-walls Gunze Sangyo H67-RLM65. The boxes were painted dark green though they could also be black, I got this from Massimo's very fine site

1588374661392-png.579660

That looks great...  i will do this...  what color is the radio deck?

I honestly don't remember. I just went down and looked at it but under the clear parts it just looks dark so it could be dark green or XF-69 Nato Black. I tried enlarging the best photo I had of the area but no luck. Maybe you can get a better guess

img_6006-jpg.584135