Matchbox Handley Page Heyford 1/72

16 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice one :)

Martin

Thanks, Martin.

15 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Nice job.  I did a lot of work on R/C drawings and a friend has an R/C underway.  I'll bet a lot of us have this one in the stash, I do and also built one long ago.

Thanks for your comment.

15 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

Alas I don't have this in my stash but I widh I did.

Beautifil rendititin of this ungainly looking aeroplane!

DennisTheBear

Thanks, Dennis. There are a few on eBay for silly money plus the postage too Australia may be prohibitive.

15 hours ago, CarLos said:

Very nice! What was your mix for NIVO?

Thanks, Carlos. I used dark slate grey as a base and kept adding small amounts of sea green until I was happy with it. Looking back I'm wondering whether I should 

have added a slight sheen to it.

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

This looks stunning,  you've done a cracking job .

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Nice of you to say so.

15 hours ago, Lawnguylander said:

The quality of your build is testament to the fact that you are an experienced modeler, and not likely to be prone to simple mistakes- That said, what are the exhausts mounted backwards?

Thanks for your comments. Be assured I make plenty of mistakes but the exhausts aren't one of them. They really were like that.

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Very nice indeed! This reminds me as well that I have one in the loft somewhere...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers Bill. Get it out and build it. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Lovely build, I still can't quite believe that this was the RAF's main bomber, even in the 30's!

Thank you. Just as well it was retired in '39

4 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

Truly outstanding result.

This reminds of the one I given my my mother’s friend when I was a kid. She gave it to her son but he had no interest in it. I went to start building it only to find some of the main bits missing. It later turned out that he’d tried to build it without referring to the instructions and got in a temper, snapped the wings and threw them away.:fraidnot:

Thanks, Brian. That's a tragedy for what is becoming a rare model.:fraidnot:

3 hours ago, Wulfman said:

A handsome Heyford, lovely build and paint job !

Wulfman

Thanks for your comments.

3 hours ago, swralph said:

Looks great Vinnie.😀

Nice of you to say so, Ralph.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lawnguylander said:

That said, what are the exhausts mounted backwards?

The exhausts are mounted correctly but Matchbox made the horns the wrong shape, they made them round in cross section instead of a flatter profile, therefore anybody could easily mistake them for being the wrong way round. The exhaust gases actually escaped through narrow diagonal slits in the sides of the horns.

I will try and post a photograph showing what I mean ( if Dogsbody doesn't beat me to it ) 

resized_439c56a8-03d8-4830-840b-67d75971

Here we have the same type of exhausts on a Short Singapore flying boat, the exhaust slots in the horns can just be made out.

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed Vinnie,..... beautiful Heyford! 

Cheers

Tony

Thanks, Tony. I appreciate your comments.

15 hours ago, tomkil said:

Super model.  And I would have thought that front gunner would have needed a head for heights even on the ground!

Thank you. Yes I agree about the gunner. I wouldn't have thought the lower 'dustbin' turret was a very nice place to be either.

13 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Wow Vinnie.  I would have been admitted to hospital after trying this kit.  You did a magnificent job on it!!!! :worthy:

Mike 

Thanks, Mike. Nice of you to say so.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, adey m said:

The exhausts are mounted correctly but Matchbox made the horns the wrong shape, they made them round in cross section instead of a flatter profile, therefore anybody could easily mistake them for being the wrong way round. The exhaust gases actually escaped through narrow diagonal slits in the sides of the horns.

I will try and post a photograph showing what I mean ( if Dogsbody doesn't beat me to it ) 

Thanks for the explanation, Adey. I should say that I did refer back to your excellent model from earlier on this year while I worked on this.

• Thanks 1

Superb job - once you've applied sufficient filler it builds into a lovely model and lets face it no-one else is likely to do a Heyford! I love that this was from the Matchbox mental period - 'hmmm what do the kids want? I know a Heyford and a Stranraer!' 'Bingo!'

TT 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish - NIVO finish looks awesome :clap2:

Thanks for the compliment, Dunny.

3 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Superb job - once you've applied sufficient filler it builds into a lovely model and lets face it no-one else is likely to do a Heyford! I love that this was from the Matchbox mental period - 'hmmm what do the kids want? I know a Heyford and a Stranraer!' 'Bingo!'

TT 

Thanks, Tex. I did use a lot of filler. Thought it was just me.:D

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Congratulations on a fine piece of modelling well done 👏 

Thanks, Homer. I appreciate your comments.

• Like 1

Lovely job, there.  I've never built a Heyford, but I really should as they were the first aircraft to fly from my local RAF airfield, RAF Finningley.  That's quite a bomb load it's carrying there, too.  Must look out for one.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 593jones said:

Lovely job, there.  I've never built a Heyford, but I really should as they were the first aircraft to fly from my local RAF airfield, RAF Finningley.  That's quite a bomb load it's carrying there, too.  Must look out for one.

Thank you. Thanks also for telling me about RAF Finningly. I wasn't familiar with the station until I read up on it. I see that it's now Doncaster Sheffield airport which coincidentally I used to drive past regularly on the way to Doncaster. Every day is a school day.

On 20/01/2021 at 18:36, 593jones said:

they were the first aircraft to fly from my local RAF airfield, RAF Finningley

resized_bcd58add-3746-4f6f-8da4-14afc6e5

Here we are, Heyfords have arrived at Finningley while it is still under construction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/01/2021 at 11:24, IanC said:

It's staggering to think the B-29 first flew only 5 years after the Heyford left frontline service.

I always find it fascinating that the Handley Page Harrow was still in service in 1945. It's basically just a slightly less drafty version of the Heyford.

And a lovely Heyford it is too 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, adey m said:

Here we are, Heyfords have arrived at Finningley while it is still under construction.

What a great photo, Adey. Thanks for posting it. I will have that image in mind the next time we fly from Doncaster/ Sheffield.

• Thanks 1

Lovely work! Brilliant to see more of these finished, having build one a year or two back I think it's a great kit, especially when you consider its age. Your NIVO mix really looks the part :)

One tiny point which I think may be impossible to fix now - have you got the top wing on too far aft? I think it should cover the flat section of fuselage and sit just aft of the little handrail thing on the spine...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, adey m said:

Thanks for posting that, what a great picture.  Many years ago when attending the air show at Finningley I bought a little booklet with a history of the airfield, there were lots of pictures in it, but not that one.  I do miss the open days there, saw some great aircraft and displays.

• Thanks 1

Magnificent beast Vinnie, justice done I would say! Had one back in the day and never built it, sold it on in the early eighties but would give it a crack now, hopefully Revell(?) will 're-pop' it?

:goodjob:

Davey

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Magnificent beast Vinnie, justice done I would say! Had one back in the day and never built it, sold it on in the early eighties but would give it a crack now, hopefully Revell(?) will 're-pop' it?

:goodjob:

Davey

Thanks, Davey.

14 hours ago, Bedders said:

What an aeroplane. What a model. Beautiful job.

Justin

Thanks for your comments, Justin.