Blast from the Past, HAWK model plated U2

I've had and built the unplated version. I thought then and think now it was a nice kit; good fit and to me the outline was accurate. Your model looks superb!

I built this plated U-2 kit way back when it first came out, in 1962, or so. Hawk also had a plated P-51D, and a plated P-47D, too, which was cutting-edge then...great stuff. I bought my U-2 at Woolworth's and still recall the ration of crap that the store manager gave me when I returned the kit because there was a blemish (bubble) in the plating. I exchanged the kit for another, and had a great time building that memorable kit.

You have done a marvelous job with this very old kit...it looks spectacular. Congratulations!

On 18/01/2021 at 14:20, John_W said:

Very nice. Was this the same kit that Italieri reboxed? Came with a trolley and a standing pilot.

Sorry, I didn’t answer your question fully, it’s an original Hawk kit.....see below

4C379334-6D93-4FD3-BB3A-90C36445B39B.jpe77A7E826-3AD5-43B3-B6EF-6E38EDE1EDCE.jpe

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Interesting that the (inevitable) fuselage seam disappears at the sort of "typical viewing distance" represented by the photos. What did you do the toning down of the finish with, something like Scotchbrite? I think it's worked very well

Hi, thx for comment(s) - The seams were all a pain. As you can't fill and sand; (or I couldn't) the best I could do was mitigate them with Vallejo putty wiped into the seam and covered with a Molotow chrome pen....I used a Brillo or a scouring pad from the wife's pantry to lightly brush the chrome....

• Like 1