SS Nomadic, Titanic's Little Sister - 1/200 - 3D (Assembly)

• 2 weeks later...

I made some progress but not as fast as I'd like, because I'm also working on a not so young and rather rare car of a friend in my garage, it's very pleasant too. :)

I made some progress on the teak varnish, I applied a waxed varnish, instead of the matte one, it's nicer.

Installation of the dock's capstans.

I also engraved a part of the plate, the White Star part that was not deep enough. To do this, I just cut a vinyl mask and carefully center it by gluing it and plugging the 12 volts. 

Nothing is glued.I got the dock a little dirtier.

I still have a teak board to put on the back of the dock to hide the plastic. And it will be finished after gluing the whole thing.  

Screenshot-2021-04-07-11-30-56-891.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-07-11-33-10-195.jpg

Screenshot-2021-04-07-11-37-20-699.jpg

• Like 16

Absolutely stunning! It really is matey fantastic work. 

Tell me, did you design all the 3D parts yourself or are they freely available online? 

Secondly, if not would you be willing to share the documents hehe?

Keep up the spectacular work dude 

Regards 

• Like 1

On 26/03/2021 at 12:43, Iceman 29 said:

No, museums do not like plastic in general, they prefer wood, canvas and brass. 🤨

I think you might be underestimating just how good your work is. The curators of a modern museum (albeit one dedicated to a century old ship) might well be open to more up to date methods of creating artefacts, what you are doing is no less skilled than any other craftsman.

Maybe ping them a few photos of the design and build process, and the results, and see what they think. Only takes a bit of time, and what’s the worst that could happen?*

*Apart from them asking you to make one for them! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Davidrebolton said:

Absolutely stunning! It really is matey fantastic work. 

Tell me, did you design all the 3D parts yourself or are they freely available online? 

Secondly, if not would you be willing to share the documents hehe?

Keep up the spectacular work dude 

Regards 

Thanks David!

99,9 % are done by my self in 3D or little bit scratch, except the railing of the caisson. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rob998 said:

I think you might be underestimating just how good your work is. The curators of a modern museum (albeit one dedicated to a century old ship) might well be open to more up to date methods of creating artefacts, what you are doing is no less skilled than any other craftsman.

Maybe ping them a few photos of the design and build process, and the results, and see what they think. Only takes a bit of time, and what’s the worst that could happen?*

*Apart from them asking you to make one for them! 

Thanks Rob, I will take your advice when I finish this project.  :)

• Thanks 1

Hi Pascal

I am lost for words, what a magnificent piece of work, truly stunning, bravo !!

On 07/04/2021 at 22:22, Iceman 29 said:

I made some progress but not as fast as I'd like, because I'm also working on a not so young and rather rare car of a friend in my garage, it's very pleasant too. :)

Oh go on......... do tell, what is it ?

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Ooh, nice. 

We have a TV programme over here called Combat Dealers, in which a very rich ex Paratrooper, who is now the owner of a big civil engineering company, buys up loads of ex military gear.

In one episode he was trying to buy a schwimmwagen from an ancient farmer in France, could have been Brittany , but I’m not sure, could equally have been Normandy. The  thing had been in the roof of a barn for 60 years and the old guy would not sell at any cost, even at many thousands of €. 

I wonder how many of these things are hidden away in deepest rural France! 

10 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

An original Schwimmwagen, 1943, David. 😉

Wooh !........ now that is something special, what a rare, wonderful toy, and an interesting restoration project, I guess any rust holes could lead to disaster   !!!

• Haha 2

Il est déjà entièrement restauré, il appartient à un ami, je m'occupe du moteur en ce moment, de la carburation et de l'allumage, il en avait besoin, plus quelques trucs qui ne marchent pas, rien de grave.
Il a été retrouvé enterré dans un champ, la moitié était récupérable, l'autre côté a été reconstruit à l'ancienne, plaques formées à la main, très beau travail d'artisan.

le-vehicule-amphibie-schwimmwagen-condui

• Like 7

That looks great fun Pascal 👍, I am very jealous of your friend, it does look very watertight, bearing in mind its military background, its small size and the fact that it floats, I am wondering if can be classified as a model warship !

• Like 1

Hi Pascal,

That's incredible. Simply spectacular and incredibly beautiful.

An artwork. Both the Nomadic and the dry dock display turned out fantastic!

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

One of my copies of the Nomadic mounted by my friend Daniel for his very large diorama of the Titanic during its stopover in Cherbourg before its sinking. 

The diorama is exposed in Cherbourg, in a bookshop.

Press:

https://actu-fr.translate.goog/normandie/cherbourg-en-cotentin_50129/il-realise-une-maquette-unique-de-l-escale-du-titanic-a-cherbourg_58734944.html?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr&_x_tr_pto=wapp

img-1752-960x640.jpg

titanic-8231.jpg

1600px-Chg-titanic1.jpg?20151229173741

Titanic1.jpeg

• Like 8

• 8 months later...
On 18/04/2023 at 23:47, Iceman 29 said:

Titanic1.jpeg

I've never built a proper scale model of any liner despite being massive history freak on this area. I loved to read through this whole building process.

However, do you know any way to acquire this picture in any higher resolution? I'd love to have this on the wall but few hours on google bring up nothing despite your link provided and the signature on the illustration.

• Like 1

Thanks! 

This painting of Jacques Mignon is on display at the Musée de la Mer in Cherbourg. I don't know if there are any reproductions...

https://www.citedelamer.com/presse/espace-photos/titanic-retour-cherbourg/

https://m.facebook.com/LaCitedelaMer/photos/a.117652598279493/4371697006208343/?type=3

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jago Hazzard, who hosts a YouTube channel devoted mainly to rail transport in London has posted a vdeo on the Nomadic and her smaller sister the Traffic. It includes the history of both vessels in peace and war and a tour of the Nomadic in Belfast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1