BEA airtours de Havilland Comet 4B, Airfix 1:144

This is my first complete build of 2021.

I'm currently on a phase of the older Airfix airliners, and this one dates from 1961 with a 2015 re-release.

It's a very simple kit with few parts, but it builds into a striking aircraft with an equally striking colour scheme.  The paint scheme was tricky in parts to get right, especially the red upper wings with the wing fence interfering with the masking, and the tight curves between the inner engines and fuselage sides.  The Olympic Airways livery is much simpler, but not as visually appealing in my opinion.

I had no problems during the build with the fit of any parts, although the clear cockpit windows are a millimeter or so too short on either side, but the clear glue and window frame decals hide this.  There was also a sizeable gap on the belly where the underside of the wing box meets the fuselage, but I think I managed to hide it with the filler.

IMG_3075

IMG_3076

IMG_3077

IMG_3078

IMG_3079

IMG_3080

IMG_3081

IMG_3082

IMG_3084

IMG_3085

• Like 49
  • Thanks 3

Very nice indeed Neil. Like most Airfix kits of its generation the Comet can be turned into a good model with a bit of effort, as you have proved. 

I'm planning a Dan-Air 4B at some point and I'm torn between improving the Airfix kit or correcting the AModel one. At the moment I'm leaning towards Airfix and I think you've just given me another nudge in that direction!

Dave G

• Like 1

Beautifully done! Comet sure was a tiny bird compared to the 747. To me, the Comet 4B and 4C were the best looking of the series. Sure would like to see a 1/72 injection molded kit of these planes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice indeed Neil. Like most Airfix kits of its generation the Comet can be turned into a good model with a bit of effort, as you have proved. 

I'm planning a Dan-Air 4B at some point and I'm torn between improving the Airfix kit or correcting the AModel one. At the moment I'm leaning towards Airfix and I think you've just given me another nudge in that direction!

Dave G

I'd love to see that!  Do you have decals for Dan-Air?

1 hour ago, neilg said:

I'd love to see that!  Do you have decals for Dan-Air?

The Dan-Air decals in the 1994 issue of the Airfix kit are actually quite decent but I'll use the sheet from 26 with Authentic Airliners windows ..... when I get round to it :penguin: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Great work on the old bird, lovely finish !

Wulfman

Thanks, I'm wondering though if the Comet had a matt finish instead of gloss?  I can't really find many good pictures of it.

36 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Neil,

Love it! Which colour did you use for the tail? Also which silver did you use it looks nice and bright!?

Does the kit still come with steps?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi, Ian.

I used Revell Aqua Lufthansa blue for the tail, and Humbrol 11 silver spray.

I had some Humbrol 15 midnight blue in a spray, but when I tried to spray the tail, there was no pressure left in the can - but the can was still pretty full.

And my tinlet of Humbrol 15 had dried out.

The Lufthansa blue is a good match for the cheatline I think.

The kit does still come with the steps, but there is no detail inside the cabin so I installed the doors in the closed position.  The steps look nicely detailed.

Lovely job of the old classic Airfix kit, really nice                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Cheers Michael.

• Like 1