Frustration

melvyn hiscock

All the time I was recently in hospital manfully avoiding my imminent death (much closer to the truth than the flippancy of that remark might suggest) I was anxious to get back to my WNW DVII. I was going to do this in the colours of the Memorial Flight one, but decided to take an easier route and do one from a Lifelike sheet. 

I bought lozenge and found there was not enough for a complete airframe so bought another sheet (kerching). 

now, being fit enough to have moved ahead I have started wallpapering it and guess what?, TWO SHEETS do not give enough to cover the whole airframe.

this is even without covering the tail, as that is Jasta Boelke so black and white.

it looks like HGW are getting more money, and I thought using aviatik would have been expensive.

why can’t I buy it on a roll like the originals?

Melv

Edited by melvyn hiscock
  • Like 1

Well, I can *just* manage to get the covering out of two packs and don’t need to buy a third but that is only because I am not covering the tail (Jasta Boelke, black and white divide)

now to let it harden and do all those rib tapes......

17 hours ago, melvyn hiscock said:

Well, I can *just* manage to get the covering out of two packs and don’t need to buy a third but that is only because I am not covering the tail (Jasta Boelke, black and white divide)

now to let it harden and do all those rib tapes......

NOW, your'e talking turkey oh what fun do the rib tapes along the trailing edge of a scolloped wing.

21 hours ago, europapete said:

Which sheets are you using Melvin? And how many more do you need? Regards Pete in RI

I was using the faded five colour and I have just finished the covering. I have a tiny amount left but it is lucky I don’t have to cover the tail.

Which one of the Jasta Boelke are yo doing? Cant wait to see a few pics of your build - are you planning to show some of the building process? Very interesting topic.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:10 PM, Xtof P said:

Which one of the Jasta Boelke are yo doing? Cant wait to see a few pics of your build - are you planning to show some of the building process? Very interesting topic.

I am doing one from the Lifelike sheet. I was going to do the Memorial Flight one but I had a nice month in a hospice and cane out just wanting to finish one without too much faff, 

too much faff he says and then starts (wrongly) five colouring it ans adding all those bas**** rib tapes. They were easy on my 1:1 scale Rearwin Cloudster but in 1/32.......

I’ll put some photos up for general derision later but it has been hard getting back to modelling. I can’t get upstairs to where I used to do it so we have had to rejig the tiny room on this floor.

the good bit is that the extra movement I’ve been doing has helped build the strength as I was very, very rough when I went into the hospice in November.

ive also managed to get a couple or articles written for the excellent ‘Aviation Historian’ not only edited by one of my oldest friends and one of my best men (I had two, I’m greedy) but it is a fantastically diverse and well -researched magazine.

Watch out for PR Spitfire’s that weren’t but should have been and the history of the blue and white striped Albatros DVa that was included in WNW Bavarians.

• Like 2

^Wot 'e said about The Aviation Historian. If you've got the slightest interest in things with wings, particularly the more esoteric corners of the game, and you're not getting it, you should. 

(Usual disclaimer - no interest other than as a subscriber.)

On 1/19/2021 at 9:10 PM, Xtof P said:

21 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

21 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

^Wot 'e said about The Aviation Historian. If you've got the slightest interest in things with wings, particularly the more esoteric corners of the game, and you're not getting it, you should. 

(Usual disclaimer - no interest other than as a subscriber.)

What happened there?

I do have to declare an interest in Aviation Historian. The managing editor is a friend of over 30 years and was one of my Best Men when I got married. I also wrote a LOT for Aeroplane when he was in charge.

However I agree that it is perfect for the niche it has found. I could get more coverage from Flypast or Aeroplane but I don’t think they have the gravitas of AH.