Bristol Beaufighter Mk. X, 1/72, Airfix, 31. sq. RAAF "Repainting started"

I have read the ADF serials articles again, and come to the conclution that, that it is newer research and a lot of work has been put into it so i belive that it is correct.

So repainting, because one thing i hate is to have a model in the wrong colors when i know better. So TSS it is.

Hopefully it will turn out ok 🤔.

20210313_120443

20210313_133918

Cheers

Jes

Edited by Touvdal
  • Like 10

Good decision,.... I didn`t like to say anything as you were almost done by the time I saw your model and didn`t know how you would take me sticking my oar in,....... but if it helps I did make a similar RAAF Beau back in 2016 wearing the TSS delivery scheme;

Good luck with the repaint,

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Good decision,.... I didn`t like to say anything as you were almost done by the time I saw your model and didn`t know how you would take me sticking my oar in,....... but if it helps I did make a similar RAAF Beau back in 2016 wearing the TSS delivery scheme;

Good luck with the repaint,

Cheers,

Tony

It is ok, should have done my research better, i never trust decal instructions. But this one looked ok.

Cheers

Jes

• Like 1

Not your fault Jes , the decal sheet represents a Ic in delivery TLS scheme to 31 Sqn not a late model X in the later TSS scheme . To do a RAAF Beaufighter unfortunately you have to ID a serial and Sqn code you want then work out the time frame as to which scheme it is in.

As a ballpark the first 54 Beaufighter Ic's were in Dark Green/Dark Earth over Sky, some had the Dark Earth repainted with Dark Sea Grey at 31 Sqn and as they went for overhaul/repair had the Sky replaced with Sky Blue.

55- 187 TSS scheme Extra dark Sea Grey/dark Slate grey over Sky, Sky replaced with Sky Blue thru life of aircraft.

188-217 TSS scheme Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky

post Jun/Jul 44 all remaining Brit build Beaufighters repainted in all over Foliage Green as per Aust build Mk 21's. 

obviously variations to individual aircraft but you have to research the individual aircraft.

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

Not your fault Jes , the decal sheet represents a Ic in delivery TLS scheme to 31 Sqn not a late model X in the later TSS scheme . To do a RAAF Beaufighter unfortunately you have to ID a serial and Sqn code you want then work out the time frame as to which scheme it is in.

As a ballpark the first 54 Beaufighter Ic's were in Dark Green/Dark Earth over Sky, some had the Dark Earth repainted with Dark Sea Grey at 31 Sqn and as they went for overhaul/repair had the Sky replaced with Sky Blue.

55- 187 TSS scheme Extra dark Sea Grey/dark Slate grey over Sky, Sky replaced with Sky Blue thru life of aircraft.

188-217 TSS scheme Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky

post Jun/Jul 44 all remaining Brit build Beaufighters repainted in all over Foliage Green as per Aust build Mk 21's. 

obviously variations to individual aircraft but you have to research the individual aircraft.

I always reseach the individual a/c that i make, when i found out that a convertion of Airfix Mk. X to a Mk. 1 was not possible, i changed to the Mk. X  and discarded the Printscale sheet.

I chose to do the A19-177 which was represented at the ADS decal sheet and instuctions said Dark Green/Dark Earth over Sky, cross checked with RAAF Camouflage and Markings, 1939-45. Vol. 2, wich confirmed the colors.

I also forund several photos of A19-177 online, looking at the them the Dark Green/Dark Earth look ok.

Beaufighter_A19_177

a19 177

a19 177 2

I only later found the ADF serials articles, and acknowledge their findings.

Then this is one of the fun parts about modelling that i like personaly. the colors, the code, the crew, the story. Not weather the model is 1 mm to long or short.

Cheers

Jes

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2021 at 10:57 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Jes

Did you finish this one after the repaint ?

Apologies if I've missed it in the Gallery. 

Cheers Pat 

No lost the momentum had to remove all the paint as overpainting did not work, now on stand by for new paint job, but not RAAF.

Most likely i will do a RAF operating over Agean see

cheers

Jes

Edited by Touvdal
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Jes / Touvdal

Thank you for making  this absolutely lovely model of this Beaufighter in Australian service. 

I was disappointed that the camouflage issue meant you

may not finish the Beaufighter . 

I accidentally came across your lovely modelling project when I decided to research more about my father’s cousin ,( my 2nd cousin?)  Darrel “Gus” Sparke - the flight Sgt (Navigator) of this aircraft . I can just remember meeting him.

Just for your info here is another mention of the aircrew team of Bullen/Sparke in  Neville Parnell’s book Whispering Death. I did go to the NSW state library and found the original Pix article . 

So once again thank you for undertaking the making and detailing of this aircraft. It was so lovely to see the family name . You have inspired me to endeavour to make a model of this aircraft. 

Best wishes,

Tracey Rose 🌹 

Edited by Tracey Rose Sparke
  • Like 5

On 8/3/2021 at 2:42 PM, Tracey Rose Sparke said:

Hi Jes / Touvdal

Thank you for making  this absolutely lovely model of this Beaufighter in Australian service. 

I accidentally came across your lovely modelling project when I decided to research more about my father’s cousin ,( my 2nd cousin?)  Darrel “Gus” Sparke - the flight Sgt (Navigator) of this aircraft . I can just remember meeting him.

Just for your info here is another mention of the aircrew team of Bullen/Sparke in  Neville Parnell’s book Whispering Death. I did go to the NSW state library and found the original Pix article . 

So once again thank you for undertaking the making and detailing of this aircraft. It was so lovely to see the family name . You have inspired me to endeavour to make a model of this aircraft. 

Best wishes,

Tracey Rose 🌹 

Happy that modelling also can, spark on other quest for knowledge of relatives. 😀

Good luck with the research. :yes:

Cheers

Jes

• Like 2

On 05/05/2021 at 07:33, Touvdal said:

No lost the momentum had to remove all the paint as overpainting did not work, now on stand by for new paint job, but not RAAF.

Most likely i will do a RAF operating over Agean see

cheers

Jes

Sorry to hear that, Jes, you had a great-looking Beau' there, and the finish you'd achieved with the DE/DG/Sky scheme was superb. Such a shame that the over-painting didn't work out as the Temperate Sea Scheme looks good. Please do finish it and post up an RFI!

Incidentally, if you want to do a Mk.IC in future, a conversion set is available from High Planes Models (no connection other than a satisfied customer!) - Christopher Brown is really helpful. The set includes correct early smooth cowlings, flat tail-planes and the other bits to make a correct Mk.IC. They also do a corrected fin/rudder set. I've got one of these sets to do a 252/272 Sqn Mk.IC in North Africa and another on order to do a PRU Mk.I.

On 03/08/2021 at 13:42, Tracey Rose Sparke said:

Hi Jes / Touvdal

Best wishes,

Tracey Rose 🌹 

Hi Tracey Rose and welcome to the forum!

What an amazing connection, to have found this link to your 2nd cousin (I think you're right there!): personal links can make this hobby so much more poignant than just the "building of a model".

Please do have a go - the Airfix kit has a great reputation and there are a lot of informative build threads on the forum to help you along, not to mention the resource of good advice from the membership. And please be sure to put up a Work In Progress thread in the Aircraft Modelling section, and post photos of your progress.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 2