AUSTER AUTOCRAT IN 1/72- WHAT TO BASE IT ON?

TEXANTOMCAT

Hello folks,

I wonder if you can help! I'd like to build an Auster J/1 but clearly there are no available kits of that sub variant so I wonder if I can kitbash one. Not being an Auster Aufficianado I wouldnt know how to begin this - can I use an AZ MKV and add the cowlings and engines from a III or is there a better way?

Thanks in anticipation!

TT 

• Like 1

Hi, I'd also love an Autocrat but likewise not sure how to go about it. The Autocrat was basically a mk v with British engine but I think the cockpit glazing also differed from the military variants. I would imagine the AZ kits would be the best starting point. Good luck.

Cheers, Paul

• Thanks 1

Scale Models back in the 80s had 1/48th plans for the Auster Autocrat and Alpha. If i can find my copy ! i will gladly scan for you.

• Thanks 1

On 18/01/2021 at 11:10, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Can I use an AZ MKV and add the cowlings and engines from a III or is there a better way?

I think the original J1A was a Mk V with a Blackburn cirrus. So that would be a good start (it's been a little while since I was looking at Austers so I can't remember further differences). 

The AZ kit is a challenge... 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I think the original J1A was a Mk V with a Blackburn cirrus. So that would be a good start (it's been a little while since I was looking at Austers so I can't remember further differences). 

The AZ kit is a challenge... 

Yep Ben's pretty much on it.

I've had a few Auster projects.  Essentially there are some basic similarities between most Auster's. And they are a minefield to identify sub variants.

Basically the J1 )for modelling purposes) was mostly structurally different in that is had a flat firewall, later J5  series had an angled firewall.  Powerplants range from Gipsy Major , Lycoming's and Cirrus Majors.

You have pretty much the same wings throughout except the J5-F had shorter wings and was an aerobatic trainer but they all had split flaps.  Later AOP 6 and T.7's had trailing flaps and std (ish) longer wings.  Although the struts were marginally longer and gave them a slight dihedral increase.  I am rebuilding a T.7 back to full military spec so the AOP-6 and T.7 are mostly what I know intimately but am happy to help where I can on other marks. I have owned about 5 Auster rebuild projects over the years and am the NZ representative for the International Auster Club here in New Zealand.  Pick an airframe and I am happy to help if I can

Oh J-1's and Military Mk5's have short undercarriage legs.

The world desperately needs a decent Auster in all 3 scales...

Cheers 

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you google upimages of your subject you will see the fuselage is a particular shape and not so flat sided as the AZ MK.III or V. The cabin area has a 'humpy ' look to it.

• 4 weeks later...