Help needed to make a landing light lens cover for a wing leading edge.

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everybody ... Im looking for ideas to plunge mold a landing light lens for wing leading edge. Im gathering up the bits I need to build a 1964 Cessna 172D from the Mini-craft 1/48 kit. I know the kit doesn't have the leading edge landing light, only the single taxi light in the lower front cowling. Would I need to make a male/female or could i use the actual wing as the mold ? How to heat the plastic and what I should look for. Or is it possible to get clear resin or plastic and shape and polish it to get what I need ? if anyone can offer ideas that would be helpful. 

Dennis

Use UV Resin for the job.

I use it frequently for these sorts of jobs

Cut your landing light out and fill the gap with the clear resin. Build up in layers. Sand or file to shape, put some more resin on and jobs done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Use UV Resin for the job.

I use it frequently for these sorts of jobs

Cut your landing light out and fill the gap with the clear resin. Build up in layers. Sand or file to shape, put some more resin on and jobs done.

Fabulous stuff!

So is SWMBO's UV cured false nail stuff.

• Thanks 1

Or you could cut a space for the light and fill it with a spare bit of square sprue then file, sand and polish to shape. You can also drill a hole in the back of the bit of sprue to represent a bulb. I do this for all my wingtip navigation lights filling the bulb hole with the appropriate colour paint. (I'm still using jars of Humbrol Clear colour I bought 30 years ago!).

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

to make nice landing light covers I use clear tape. First step is to apply masking tape around the cover. This will box in a small rectangle. Then apply a small piece of clear tape. 

Its edges are glued to the masking tape, so you can cut around the inside of the rectangle with a sharp blade and remove the parts of the clear tape which are on the masking tape (thereby not damaging your paint job).

If necessary you can mask the kind of oval shape of the landing light cover and repaint on top of that.

best,

Christian.

• Thanks 1