revell 737-800

oldboy

i have been thinking of buying the revell boeing 737-800 kit but having read some old posts about this model it seems to be rather complicated,i am a complete novice to this only having built a revell concorde which went okay so is the 737-800 to difficult for someone new to modeling

The Zvezda Boeing 737 kits are in a different league from Revell. I've built the -800 and the -700 and really enjoyed both although you have to be prepared for sink marks and warped wing halves. Milliput will sort the former and a hairdryer used carefully the latter.

As well as the points listed by @Abandoned Project the Zvezda kits have accurate winglets (with the options of plain wingtips and split scimitars) and the correct stance on the ground unlike the Revell one which suffers from over-long main undercarriage legs.

To get the best out of the Revell kit you need to replace the engines (resin replacements from BraZ Models are a much better proposition than trying to sort the kit parts) and fix the winglets either by cutting them down to the correct size and shape or, once again, using BraZ resin replacements. Shortening the main undercarriage by about 1.5mm will fix the incorrect tail-up stance. The incorrect window line isn't a big deal if you use window decals.

The Revell kit turns up on eBay quite regularly but by the time you've bought it and added the resin bits you're probably as cheap buying Zvezda and you'll get a better model with less hassle.

Dave G

• Like 1

If you can get Revell for about $15, want a quick practice model and do not care too much about accuracy you can get Revell. In any other case Zvezda is a better choice.

The biggest problem with Zvezda is the decal option. If you have no interest in UtAir then you probably need to get aftermarket decals (ebay has a lot as well as other sites that specialize in airliner decals like DrawDecal, 26 Decals, Liveries Unlimited, etc). In this part Revell kits are bit better since they have much better airline options though the model have accuracy issues.

On 1/18/2021 at 9:03 PM, Abandoned Project said:

Buy a Zvezda 737-800 or 737-700 and avoid all the problems.

Several reasons why you should are;

A. better engines

B. no window location problem

C. cheaper and easier to find

Hi, 

... Add to this the seldom cited odd airfoil of the stabilators : stabilators are thick and airfoil seems to be reversed upside down. 

I had discussed the matter with Braz Models boss in Telford a few years back hoping he could produce some corrected stabilator sets. At the time the Zvezda kit was not in sight and I had happily bought 5 Revell kits. I ended up buying 6 B737-800 engine sets from Braz. No doubt I would have bought 5/6 stabilator sets as well. 

This said, with Braz engines, window decals and a bit of shortening on the mains, The Revell B738 can be built in a quite decent fashion. 

Regards 

Eric B.