CF-18 Desert Cat

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to join with a CF-18 and Leading Edge decals 72.87

0sP7w4w.jpg

I've read there's not much of a (backdate) conversion from am F-18C to (C)F-18A

1) Tail fins lack an extra RWR antenna. (The kit has the A tail, as show in my picture.)

2) Search Light - I have to drill out and blank out.

3) MLG oleo, if someone can shed some light here I'd appreciate it. (Some online references would help.)

4) Bird slicers - I'd have to find picture of the particular aircraft I'm going to build. (As of now, I have not decide which cat to build.)

• Like 4

I'm not aware of any differences in the main landing gear (esp. circa 1990-1991) between the CF-18 and "vanilla" U.S. F/A-18A.  If memory serves correctly, the *nose* gear for land-based export Hornets (Canada, Spain, Australia) initially left off the catapult connection bar - for rather self-evident reasons - but when a balance/shimmy issue was discovered, the solution was to reinstall the otherwise redundant components.

The "bird slicer" antennae above the nose are an IFF feature, not installed until well after Desert Storm.

This article gives some additional notes you may find helpful:

https://www.arcair.com/tnt1/001-100/TNT100-CF-188-Bamford/00.shtm

Just a quick update....

Trying to fill in some sink marks, re-contour the spine of the Hornet and clean up the parts.

I guess a a result of multiple versions and the use of fuselage plugs, there was a mismatch of the spine.

jdRzrPo.jpg

TNFAGtc.jpg

Still haven't decided on load out, either CAP or Bombing mission.

Moe

Edited by CanadaMoe
Removed question.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CanadaMoe said:

Is this a VER? What is DER?

4dwMcEy.png

Looking head on it is hard to tell, but my guess would be yes, it is a VER (Vertical Ejector Rack). It is also referred to as BRU-55/A which is for use by the US Navy on their F/A-18, and probably used by the Canadian CF-18s. 

I have also seen mentioning of "cVER" which translates into canted Vertical Ejecor Rack. I am not sure, though, if this is just a different label, or if there is a difference in appearance (canted...?) I don't know if there is someting like a "DER" or if this is an official designation, but I could imagine "DER" might mean Dual Ejector Rack. 

F-18-C-VER-35359-1353290380.jpg

This one for the Air Force (F-16). 
A-guided-bomb-unit-54rests-on-the-wing-o

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, Sierra.

I'm to go ahead an assume that Canadian CF18/188 used them in ODS.

I might do a bombing load out, since the Hasegawa kit comes with a pair of VERs and I have a second kit where I can get a second pair.

Thanks again.

Moe

Another update

I want to do something about the blank engine intake on the kit.

So, I created some "turbine blades" and stick it inside. They were quite easy to do, as can see from the posted picture.

The plastic tube was created by wrapping sheet plastic around a copper pipe, tying it down with some fishing line and submersing in hot boiling water and letting it sit. I did it twice to make sure the plastic would form over the pipe. The "blades" were scribe on a plastic disc and a black wash was applied after painting.

NOTE: They are not to scale or representation. I just want to fill the space in the huge space on this kit.

KgPbnHA.jpg

vY3v5ML.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 2:39 PM, CanadaMoe said:

Thanks for the reply, Sierra.

I'm to go ahead an assume that Canadian CF18/188 used them in ODS.

I might do a bombing load out, since the Hasegawa kit comes with a pair of VERs and I have a second kit where I can get a second pair.

Thanks again.

Moe

G'day Moe,

It is a little hard to tell from your pic as the BRU-33 (VER) and BRU-55 (CVER) are externally very similar. The BRU-55 was developed (from the BRU-33) for  emplyment of later generation smart weapons e.g. GBU-38 etc and has the two little struts on the aft end to support the electical cables used to connect to smart weapons. They can still be used to carry unguided weapons. I doubt Canuck Hornets had these in '91?

The kit already includes BRU-33s. Resin would be nicer and it would be easy enough to backdate BRU-55s but why pay for something you already have? Peronally, I  would spend themoney on weapons instead as the kit optins are limited

The BRU-57 is used by USAF and again was not in use during DS. I don't know what a DER is, sorry

Pappy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...