June 2005 - the last MiG-21 QRA at Čáslav

Tim R-T-C

Hi all,

Now that I've got the desk clear from Christmastime builds, I can start my first full GB entry of the new year.

spacer.png

JBr Decal's limited edition boxing of Czech MiG-21s is a combination of the amazingly detailed Eduard MiG-21 MF plastic, along with special decals and resin parts to allow production of a variety of Czech operated Fishbeds from the 70s onwards.

For this GB I am going to be building the last of the Czech Fishbeds, two of the jets that served on the final QRA of the type in Czech service, 5581 and 5603.

These were updated MiG-21 MFN with new avionics, which to the modeller means more aerials and bumps on the spine, tail and underside. The instructions tell you what size to cut these from styrene sheet, but subsequently to their release of this boxing, JBr also released etched frets for these parts, so I acquired two of these too.

I'll also be adding a ladder from the handy, but exceptionally rare Brengun MiG-21 maintenence set, although I'll save the rest of the parts for another scene.

spacer.png

I'm going to build simultaneously, so I started tonight by assembling the cockpit parts and painting the interiors with the classic vibrant tone which from reference photos was more blue than green on these planes.

• Like 5

Finally managed to get some varnish on these two, so on with the wash next. Pictures from 2005 show them rather weathered.

Until then they have been busily intercepting mysterious intruders to Czech airspace...

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2021 at 8:05 PM, Col. said:

That intruder has clearly got rather lost! Both in time and space :lol:

Yes its the forgotten sequel to Final Countdown where a Manchuko bomber is accidentally flung forward in time to 2004 Prague...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2021 at 11:19 PM, exdraken said:

They look perfect! Wow!

Never thought of the visual effect of two ~equal jets next to each other in modelling terms....

:thumbsup:

Thanks, yes it is not a common aesthetic in modelling, the advantages of 144th scale!

I have done quite a few scenes with two matching propellor planes side by side but this is my first two-plane jet addition to my series.

spacer.png

• Like 2