Italeri (ESCI/ERTL) Jagdpanther 1/72 - the speed build to end all speed builds!

klr

So ,,, with my Zvezda Panther on long-term pause:

... I decided on Friday evening (yes, two nights ago!), that it would be wrong to to not complete a kit for this GB. To cut a long story short. I chose the Italeri Jagdpanther. I never got this ESCI original back in the day:

1016201-27767-46-720.webp

Of course, back in the day, this would have had single-piece flexible tracks. The Italeri boxing is of the ESCI/ERTL version, with "upgraded" hard tracks:

IMG_20210115_211645_dr_025.jpg

As time was of the essence, the tasks had to be done in the optimum order. So first up, paint the wheels Dunkelgelb 43, and then before going to bed, paint the rims of the road wheels black:

IMG_20210116_131839_dre_020.jpg IMG_20210116_131851_dr_020.jpg

Saturday morning, I touched up the road wheels, and started on the upper hull:

IMG_20210116_131910_dr_020.jpg

Then after dinner (or what passes for dinner in my abode ...), I attached all the road wheels, and the idler wheels, and did some touching up.

IMG_20210116_160614_dr_020.jpg

Each track consists of 23 parts, including 17 single links. 8 of these are attached to the spocket, and after that things got much more difficult. I didn't glue the sprocket wheels in place, as they are a tiight fit, and because I might have needed to adjust them slightly to align with the other more troublesome track parts.

IMG_20210116_160659_dre_020.jpg

Having successfully completed the tracks, I completed the hull assembly. The front join was only kept in place by me holding it until the glue had dried enough. Then, to finish up last (Saturday) night, I started to paint the hull, and then painted a bit more of it, and then some more. Note the side rails on which the "skirts" will be mounted. These parts have a square cross-section, and had to be adjusted on the inside so that they would fit "flat". Some other fixtures were also added at this point.

IMG_20210117_095702_dr_025.jpg

So, this morning I added the skirts, and yes, I did remember to paint the insides first, not that these would be visible once attached. I also applied some gloss varnish for the decals to be applied (just the 3). This is from an "Unknown unit, late 1944". Rather vague, but at least more plausible than the subject in all-over Panzer Grey.

IMG_20210117_105018_dr_020.jpg

I had some filler to apply at various points around the hull joins, and also on the base of the gun barrel. That's just glare on the upper right hull from the varnish.

IMG_20210117_145842_dr_025.jpg

Decals now applied. That gun barrel still doesn't look right on the left side, but I'll sort it out.

IMG_20210117_152927_dr_025.jpg

So now I just have to add the rear exhaust units, and then all the other fixtures and fittings. I had thought about going for a two- or three- colour camouflage scheme, but there just isn't the time for that.

Edited by klr
  • Like 5

• klr changed the title to Italeri (ESCI/ERTL) Jagdpanther 1/72 - the speed build to end all speed builds!