Revell P-70 into a Boston III finished

Hi folks, 

I have been working on and off in trying to improve the 1960s (?) Revell tooling of the P-70 into an RAF Boston III intruder.

The extent of AM used was quickboost flame damping exhausts and DK decals; the rest was just good ol' fashioned modelling bl**dy-mindedness.  Things wot I done:

- reshaped engine cowls to a more aerodynamic profile,

- added rudimentary gizmology to the fuselage interior,

- corrected nacelles to better represent intruder exhaust arrangements,

- shimmed glazing for a better fit,

- added front and rear bulkheads to main gear wells

- added copious liquid gravity within front fuse and fwd engine nacelles, to avoid tail sitting,

- added rib tapes from Tamiya tape to texture fabric covered portion of rudder and elevators,

- added brass cannon barrels to the under fuse pack.

- de-emphasised raised panel lines.

- improved profile of prop blades.

I am emphatically not claiming that the result is accurate, or indeed a particularly good job.  Any original geometry inaccuracies clearly remain.  However, I would contend that it looks a little more like a Boston III than a pure oob build.

I am quite pleased with the final look of the engine cowlings and exhaust baffles,, the faded 'black' finish, and the 'rib tapes'.  I am less impressed with the glasswork and framing, however, it was a valuable learning experience and the result will sit happily in my cabinet. 

2021-01-17_06-50-46

2021-01-17_06-51-00

2021-01-17_06-51-43

2021-01-17_06-51-53

2021-01-17_06-52-16

2021-01-17_07-16-55

2021-01-17_06-52-48

Note the part # embossed in the main gear well (sigh).  Also, that I have not yet installed the landing lights (sigh, again).

Build log here:

Rgds,

Martin

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Hi Martin,

you have put a hell of a lot of work in this kit, that much is obvious.

To obtain something that good with a sixty-odd years old kit is not easy and requires to be a rather good modeler!

Congrats!

JR

5 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Martin,

you have put a hell of a lot of work in this kit, that much is obvious.

To obtain something that good with a sixty-odd years old kit is not easy and requires to be a rather good modeler!

Congrats!

JR

You're too kind, Jean.  I consider myself an average modeller with lots of experience!

2 hours ago, RMCS said:

Great job 

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, swralph said:

Very nice build Martin.😀

Thank you!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Superb job mate. I intend to do a Boston III from the Revell kit also, although the latest one which is ex- Special Hobby 😁. An overall Black is hard to get right in my opinion and you've captured it very well.

Davey.

2 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Superb job mate. I intend to do a Boston III from the Revell kit also, although the latest one which is ex- Special Hobby 😁. An overall Black is hard to get right in my opinion and you've captured it very well.

Davey.

Cheers, sir!

2 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Superb work very nicely finished

thanks for sharing

Eamonn

Very good of you to say so.  Ta!

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

Looks excellent Martin,.... shape wise it looks better than the SH kit and you`ve done a great job dragging this old codger kicking and screaming into the 21st Century,.... love the 418 Sqn RCAF scheme too.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kapam said:

I truly admire your dedication to all those modifications and improvements.

I have to agree - 'proper' modelling as it used to be! I don't think I could be bothered, to my shame.

The rough night finish looks good too.