Saintly Fiat

dogsbody

The He 111 was photographed at Castel Benito (Tripoli) in 1942, as was in in description of it in ww2 web page. The environment in Mc 200 take look same, so I will conclude that photo of G-50 was most likely taken in 1942 there. 

Another take of He 111 - note the building  in background 

Captured_He_111_in_Libya_1942-640x478.jp

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

Red spinner, Yellow fuselage band (matches the outside of the roundel). Those were the colours that were pretty much standard for captured enemy airframes.

Not 450 Sqn but 260 Sqn. F/Lt D.H.Clarke did a stint with them, his 'Saint' marked Kittyhawk Mk.III flown in Tunisia early 1943 is well known, having been illustrated going back to the 1960s in both the Aircraft Profiles and Aircam No.6 Kittyhawk in RAF Etc etc service.

I'm surprised that no one has made the connection between him and the Fiat G.50 previously. 260 must have had two different G.50s as this is not the same one marked 'HS' due to differences in the camo, similar style but quite different in detail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hornet133 said:

Red spinner, Yellow fuselage band (matches the outside of the roundel). Those were the colours that were pretty much standard for captured enemy airframes.

Not 450 Sqn but 260 Sqn. F/Lt D.H.Clarke did a stint with them, his 'Saint' marked Kittyhawk Mk.III flown in Tunisia early 1943 is well known, having been illustrated going back to the 1960s in both the Aircraft Profiles and Aircam No.6 Kittyhawk in RAF Etc etc service.

I'm surprised that no one has made the connection between him and the Fiat G.50 previously. 260 must have had two different G.50s as this is not the same one marked 'HS' due to differences in the camo, similar style but quite different in detail.

I'd say this information solves the puzzle. I see that Sorman is among the bases where 260 Sqn. stationed during their advance (in Feb.1943), although Clarke himself in this page from his book mentions having found a G.50 earlier:

https://www.stormomagazine.com/Articles/HistoryArticles_MacchiComparativeTest.htm

The Ali e Colori book mentions Sorman for 393 Squadriglia until November 1942, no mention of later bases for the unit. This of course if the aircraft was from this unit, could be but it's not sure

Clarke also mentions LD as the codes he applied to an MC.200, implying that he was with 250 Sqn at that time.

• Like 1

Oops... Sorry I messed up, it was 250 Sqn that D.H.Clarke was with not 260 Sqn. His Kittyhawk Mk.III was LD-(2 dots) FR313 per the Aircam book. I do know the difference but had a brain fade on that one. 

So 250 Sqn for the 'Saintly' G.50 which I had not seen before. thanks to Giorgio for additional info.

• Like 1

I am pleased that my Saintly Fiat post via Chris has interested so many.

I was also interested in Hornet133’s remark on DH Clarke’s service with 260/250 Squadron rather than 450. While I have little interest in the man except for his adoption of the Saint emblem, because my assumption of 450 was based on recollection and, as an “octogeranium”, I am always on the lookout for senile memory deterioration, I was near-miraculously able to locate and disinter my copy of his book What were they like to fly? [Ian Allen, 1964] and attempt to either confirm or demolish this recollection.

On his remarks concerning his Kittyhawk time [pp 77-83]  he continually refers to 450 Squadron and remarks on his being “the only Pommy in an otherwise all-Australian squadron – 450 RAAF”. Thus, you can understand my assumption that his unit was 450.

In the same book, the chapter concerning his flight in the Fiat G-50 [pp 87-89] he identifies the location as Castel Benito and the date as January 23/24 1943. If this date is accurate, the aircraft would have been in Allied hands for quite long enough to have the additional embellishments added to the paint scheme.

Carl

• Like 4