Is BS381C-298 Olive Drab the same as S.C.C.15?

Ray_W

I am just about to launch into my RAAF Mirage build for the ANZAC GB to be finished in grey-green camouflage. The green is Olive Drab BS381C-298. I have read somewhere that it is equivalent to S.C.C.15 which suits me as I can use a Mike Starmer Tamiya mix. I know Hataka and Colorcoats @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies have this colour in their range, but I am limited to Gunze and Tamiya. 

Are the two olive drabs the same?

Hope you can help.

Ray

38 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I am just about to launch into my RAAF Mirage build for the ANZAC GB to be finished in grey-green camouflage. The green is Olive Drab BS381C-298. I have read somewhere that it is equivalent to S.C.C.15 which suits me as I can use a Mike Starmer Tamiya mix. I know Hataka and Colorcoats @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies have this colour in their range, but I am limited to Gunze and Tamiya. 

Are the two olive drabs the same?

Hope you can help.

Ray

Our colour values are slightly different and indeed I maintain two distinct paints for these - i.e. one is not a relabel of the other. Our SCC15 is slightly more saturated than BS381C-298. However, given that most people, males in particular and middle-aged and upwards males specifically generally struggle to perceive differences between colours in the brown to olive range, I think you'd get away with it.

SCC15-BS298.png?v=1610906523

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Our colour values are slightly different and indeed I maintain two distinct paints for these - i.e. one is not a relabel of the other. Our SCC15 is slightly more saturated than BS381C-298. However, given that most people, males in particular and middle-aged and upwards males specifically generally struggle to perceive differences between colours in the brown to olive range, I think you'd get away with it.

Thanks Jamie, a perfect response - they are not the same. 

Very interesting. If it was a flat finish aircraft then the bottom one would be the choice, but a slightly shiny base commander's aircraft (washed/polished?) even looks more green (dark green). I am certainly in the age group that has the difficulty mentioned. Looks like more research is in order before I pull the trigger.

Thanks again for the rapid and useful response.

Ray

• 1 year later...
On 17/01/2021 at 19:04, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It does not end with these two.
If one compares RAF dark green, BS 298, BS 285, SCC15 and SCC16 they all are in a certain pool of colours.
It gets worse once they start aging, for an aged paint which was freshly a chromatic version of drab can become a greyish one which resembles a freh low chromatic drab.

Edited by Steben

On 17/01/2021 at 19:04, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

This gets worse / is more so / with less lightness.
Museums with deficient light sources usually get away with differences :D 

Question: are these measured with a spectrometer on flat samples (ic SCC15 the Starmer one?)?
And do you have (a) reference(s) to another colour f.e. a RAL? 
I ask this because measured RGB values are found everywhere but are usually different :D .

These are three different colours:
278332518_483021670280370_12313793927900

Edited by Steben

20 minutes ago, Steben said:

I ask this because measured RGB values are found everywhere but are usually different :D .

Thats because there is a multitude of RGB "standards" - it is one of the worst way invented to uniquely represent the color. Especially in the context of paints.

I try never to compare them directly unless I have no choice. CIELab with known illuminant is much better option if available. Munsell notation does work too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1