How About Some Love for the Force de Frappe - Heller Mirage IVP 1/48

Being a bit of a Francophile, I’ve always liked the look of the Mirage IV.  This was an eBay purchase a while back & came with a Neomega cockpit & a rather nice set of Reskit replacement wheels (never heard of Reskit before!).  I have no idea how old this kit is but I’m guessing maybe 40 years since it was first issued & it shows.  Frankly a bit of a struggle with rather “iffy” fit throughout - especially the rear fuselage “pen-nib” around the jet nozzles where I had to apply more filler than I can ever remember with any other kit!  My other major problem was the plastic itself which seemed rather resistant to liquid poly, even now whenever I pick it up I can hear the fuselage joint “creaking” as if it’s about to burst open!!  The instructions are basic & more than a little vague when it comes to the placement of the several small aerials & intakes around the airframe so “guestimation” is the order of the day unless you have access to the right references (I don’t sadly).  The Neomega cockpit was the usual struggle to fit but is a great  improvement on the kit parts though if you’re closing the canopies the latter are probably adequate given how little can be seen.  Best parts of the kit plastic are probably the undercarriage legs which provide a lot of detail & coupled with those wheels look pretty good.  The nose probe is cast as part of the nose cone & I lost track of how many times I snapped it off or simply bent it during construction!  For the finish I used British colours as I understand that the French colours aren’t a million miles away so Extra Dark Sea Grey & Dark Green (with hindsight Dark Sea Grey may have been better).  I worried about the decals & not knowing how old they were - especially since I don’t know of any AM decals for this kit but happily they behaved reasonably well even if the stencils were rather out of register.  The resin Neomega seats of course lack the top pull handles & too late I realised I was out of suitable fuse wire to fabricate them but will do so as soon as I have the material.

IMG_2636 IMG_2634

IMG_2634

IMG_2633 IMG_2637 IMG_2640 IMG_2638

• Like 31

Nice model Graham.  The Mirage IV was such a beautiful aircraft, not quite as beautiful as the VC10 but close (discuss...), and I really like to see them modelled as well as yours.  You overcame the challenges very well.

12 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Looks good! Very good. You’d never know it was a 40 year old kit.

What is that big ‘pizza’ underneath, a radar?

TBH I don't know but I THINK it's the antenna for a ground-mapping radar or terrain following radar.  Others may know more!!