64 Sqn Spitfire SH-D L1035

Adam Poultney

Does anyone have any information about this Spitfire? I think it is a replica as it doesn't show up on any list of surviving Spitfires that I can find. I will be building models of four 64 Sqn Spitfire Mk1as: SH-D, SH-G, SH-N and SH-W. Any info on these will be hugely appreciated.

IMG_2212.jpg

https://www.britishpoles.uk/battle-of-britain-day/

• Like 1

As far as L1035 goes, I have still seen no concrete evidence that it was coded D. I've also seen N suggested as the individual a/c code letter. It was lost on 25/07/40. There was a later D, quoted as X4067 by Fündekals, which was captured on a Pathé newsreel on 15/08/40. Whilst it might be tempting to use this as a basis for determining how L1035 looked, it's worth bearing in mind that it's possible or even likely that being an old aircraft, it would have had the old 35" type A fuselage roundel modified into a type A1 by simply painting the yellow ring around that. There's evidence that that was the case as SH@S was so marked, with a huge  49" roundel. The upper wing roundels would have been 31.2 inches when supplied and may not have been repainted to the later  56"standard.

K9964 was coded W and was shot down and crash landed in France on 15/08/40. There are several photos of the downed aircraft that are very useful in determining how it looked.

I'll post a few pics and screengrabs later (it's almost 4am as I type this and I really ought to be in bed!) which show some of No. 64's Spitfires but one thing to bear in mind is that on every photo I have seen of No. 64's Spits during the BoB (and for quite some time after) is that the squadron codes are always aft of the roundel on both sides. Ignore any profile that shows otherwise. Also, No. 64 seem to have painted out the serial numbers on all their aircraft at this time.

Unfortunately, I don't have pics of G and N, just D, Q, S, W, J, B, O, E and possibly P.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Like 1

HSame as @lasermonkey, I had a good look at the ORB and the aircraft letter is not mentioned, nor is it in SLt Dawson-Paul’s Combat reports.  If ever there is any definitive proof one way or another I would gladly update my information.  There was also a thread on here where it was discussed..

These are the air to air victories Frank D-P scored in L1035..

07.07.40 (2030) Me110 2miles NE Rouen, (Blue 2) Vickers Supermarine Spitfire I L1035/SH*(Unknown) Note: The Me110 claimed was probably 3U+GS – whilst its pilot Obfw Willi Meyer was rescued, his gunner Gfr Willi Rohde was reported missing.

10.07.40 (1410) 2xMe110 Destroyed, Me110 Probably Destroyed between Folkstone and Calais, (Blue 3), Vickers Supermarine Spitfire I N3250/SH*(Unknown)

13.07.40 (1730) Me109 Destroyed, 12 miles SE Dover, (Blue 3) Vickers Supermarine Spitfire I L1035/SH*(Unknown)

24.07.40 (0900) Do17 Destroyed, NE Goodwin Sssssands, (Blue 1) Vickers Supermarine Spitfire I L1035/SH*(Unknown)

This is my representation, aircraft letter based on a Falklands Island stamp (they must have got ‘D’ from somewhere).  Airfix 1/48.

26772757259_1cfa7eb13e_w.jpg

Looking back i see that LaserMonkey and I discussed this last in April 2016.

Edited by Grey Beema

Not much more to add, really, though I  do have these:

p?i=38baa960edd0e92e61ceff0c5e2961f5

p?i=7af3e2e65773c22fbd5bafdb5d403e4b

p?i=c59c652e016fe5ae972999021cbcf722

I know I have another pic of K9964/SH@W in a book, which I'll scan if I remember where! I'm sure it's on my old Photobucket, but I can no longer access that, as my browser is out of date and can't be upgraded.

• Thanks 1