Lynx HMA8- Sea Skua gubbins

Drew65

Morning all

I used to be a bombhead on 829 Sqn, but as time has gone on the memories have too.

I am in the middle of a HMA8 1/32 build and have come across a dilemma.

The Sea Skua black boxes that were fitted behind the FLOBS seat I cannot remember how it was all set up

I remember that if Skua wasnt fitted on the carriers or whatever the theatre was, determined what was fitted. I am trying to get the boxes correct as if it was fully set up to go for Skua, and parked in the hanger with blades folded.

the Revell kit shows only the boxes behind the FLOBS seat and nothing in the carrier frame to the right. I remember there being some boxes and cable works to do to fit like this 

spacer.png

And on the port side

spacer.png

What I cant remember was, did the Stbd side gear get fitted for Skua launch as well?

If so I will have to craft a box and cables as its not supplied in the revell kit

Cheers

I'm a grubber so Sea Skua gubbins aren't my strong point. The port side boxes were all ESM related, the boxes on the stbd side are Skua related. The bottom of your two photos shows the cable loom for the Sea Skuas, the red cables with the black plate and two connectors. These were fitted both sides so that the Skuas could be fitted on either side.

The cables were supported by a green tube running behind the seats.

The corner cut out on the door was to allow the cables to be fitted to the missile and still have the door shut.

Hopefully these photos help. Unfortunately i don't have any of the Sea Skua boxes.

50849319158_2eaf1e57a3_c.jpg

50849319413_7c6f58541f_c.jpg

50849319683_55d4f46481_c.jpg

50850041616_02c4470152_c.jpg

50850041846_c623651479_c.jpg

50849320418_660851f00e_c.jpg

Red

• Like 2

Cheers shippers

awesomely helpful.

Brought back a few memories, especially the door cutouts.

Left in 93 so bloomin long time ago. Served on Brilliant flight during the GW1 unfortunately left after due to personal reasons.

On 23/01/2021 at 23:52, bootneck said:

I would also like to see a WiP on this as I would like to see how the Sea Skua attaches to the airframe, especially for a Falklands era HAS.2

cheers,

Mike

Hey Mike

I am doing the HMA8 version in WIP. The HAS 2 was a really old version and I served in HAS3 GM types. I am not sure, but dont think the weapons carriers changed that much over the years as the skua/stingray/Mk 11 Depth charges were still in operation before the lynx was sent packing for the wildcats.

I was winchman during weapon loading and a WL rating. (bombheads of old) so I had to do the maintenance on those. I will try and help as much as I can but the memory fails us these days

10 hours ago, Drew65 said:

Hey Mike

I am doing the HMA8 version in WIP. The HAS 2 was a really old version and I served in HAS3 GM types. I am not sure, but dont think the weapons carriers changed that much over the years as the skua/stingray/Mk 11 Depth charges were still in operation before the lynx was sent packing for the wildcats.

I was winchman during weapon loading and a WL rating. (bombheads of old) so I had to do the maintenance on those. I will try and help as much as I can but the memory fails us these days

As far as I am aware (& the HMA8 was just coming in as Ieft 815) the weapon carriers didn’t change significantly throughout the Lynx’s life.  

[As another ex-829 chap (89-91, 201 Flight), greetings!]