Lagg-3 Kostylev's "Columbine-Tale"

GRK

Hi all

First finished build of the year but started last year- i'm not that quick! 

I went for ICM's Lagg-3 kit as my first ever Soviet aircraft- always had a soft spot for the Lagg-3 and enjoyed the build. It went together ok but a bit of work was needed to get the gun bulge inserts to fix into the engine cowling piece properly. I really enjoyed the painting and weathering. I knew I wanted to have a go at a winter scheme and went for number 64 of 3.Gv.IAP flown by Georgy Kostylev who named the plane his "Columbine Tale" (I confess I have no idea to what that refers to!)

I used MRP for the green/black/blue and then went with Tamiya white for the winter coat so to bring in the hairspray chipping. I was pretty happy with that but felt that the edges were too harsh so after a matt coat i wet the surface and used a weathering pencil to dab on more white around the edges and a brush to blend. This made the made look more like it was washing off rather than chipping off. 

This particular aircraft is shown not to have a canopy hood so I put a few more details into the cockpit than i normally would. 

Hope you like it, back to tanks next  but sticking with the Russian theme with the 1/48 Hobbyboss KV-1. 

Graeme

IMG_2731

IMG_2730

IMG_6269

IMG_6271

IMG_6273

IMG_6274

IMG_6275

IMG_6277

IMG_6278

IMG_6280

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Fantastic job and i thought i'd seen worn out Zero's...

ha yes it’s taken quite a beating  but here’s what I was aiming for with the look

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lagg3/3gviap/3gviap64.html

good fun to play round with this much weathering 

2 hours ago, Werdna said:

Wow - that's one hell of a job, well done.  The weathering is really impressive :) 

thanks very much Werdna, glad you like it

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, GRK said:

ha yes it’s taken quite a beating  but here’s what I was aiming for with the look

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lagg3/3gviap/3gviap64.html

Interesting link.  My only question would be 'what kind of nutter thinks an open cockpit is a good idea in a Russian winter' ;) 

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

Fantastic scale modeling!  👍   I believe that's the best weathered winter finish I've seen yet.    I really like your work in the cockpit as well; man, this is a great airplane model GRK!  :clap2:

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Thanks for the link GRK and once again you've done a fantastic job...

1 hour ago, ForestFan said:

Nice job, you don’t see many of these, makes a change from the usual WW2 subjects. Looks very well used!

Thank you all.

Ha- Gary i think you need to look at more winter weathered models !!! :) Thank you, high praise indeed

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Werdna said:

Interesting link.  My only question would be 'what kind of nutter thinks an open cockpit is a good idea in a Russian winter' ;) 

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

Lol, I had the same thought!    Brrrrrrrr... 😁

Absolutely- maybe the pilot graduated from I-16s and missed the gentle breeze! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fantastic weathering. From the link to Massimo's site that you posted, "...The plane is known to have been flown by Georgy Kostylev, that wrote: At the beginning of the war, I got the type of plane LaGG-3 . On the lists of the regiment, she was listed just under the number " 64" , but I gave to her a different name . I called my plane "Columbine" . For beauty. And after I shot my 10th enemy plane on her, I renamed her the "Tale". On "Columbine - Tale" I fought the entire first year.

2 hours ago, fubar57 said:

I called my plane "Columbine" . For beauty.

Thanks fubar. I read this at the time but only when you’ve put it here did I spot the “for beauty “ bit, makes more sense now!

10 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

I would like to replicate the horizontal scratches that you skillfully made in this Lagg. Any hints?

Hi, these were just where I passed the brush through during the hairspray chipping. Just careful to keep the brush strokes in line with the airflow. I then added the vertical rain lines with the weathering pencils and a really soft brush. 

good luck with it, found it really fun to do 

• Thanks 1

On 17/01/2021 at 14:14, Werdna said:

Wow - that's one hell of a job, well done.  The weathering is really impressive :) 

On 17/01/2021 at 16:30, Gary Brantley said:

Fantastic scale modeling!  👍   I believe that's the best weathered winter finish I've seen yet.

Have to agree with the above.

20 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

The white distemper is just the cherry on top of the cake. The whole model is beautifully made

Can't put it any better. That is one awesomely awesome model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's an excellent job! Representative, genuine weatherbeaten finish is first class.

I wish more people would attempt this instead of just making panel lines, I hope your build provides some inspiration 👏👏👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1