1/48th MiG-31BS Kazakhstan ADF

This was a build for the Interceptor GB and my first experience with an AMK model. I had been in awe with this model, especially with the reviews it had received. 

Building it………

……..well it’s a nice model and probably one of the better ones to come from China, but there is a very good reason why Tamiya are so good. For a model that promised so much, and is quite expensive… the reality is it doesn’t quite live up to the hype, “slide moulding” is super trick, but if the detail from it isn’t as good as traditional moulding. There are/were lots of little things that really bugged me with this model, but in the end the decals were the biggest let down…. for the premium you pay for this model…..they were :poop: !

It sort of sums up the whole model, it promises so much (and the reviews build it up) but in the end it sort of lets you down. I blame all the hype by the reviewers, it’s an amazing model, and one of the best aircraft models from a Chinese company for some time, and quite expensive too, but in the end, you just know Tamiya (or Zoukei-Mura) could have done it soooooo much better and cheaper too. 

Would I build this model again……. let’s put it this way I have an AMG F-14D in the stash, but I just bought another Tamiya F-14D ( have built an F-14D and have F-14A in the stash already), and will probably buy a couple more as well!

AS for the Quinta Studio 3D Decals......... they have to be the best product out there by a million miles....an absolutely stunning product you just have to buy!!

IMG_5253-XL.jpg

Please enjoy, as usual there is a link to the build.

Model: AMK 1/48th MiG-31B/BS

Paint:  Mr Paint and Tamiya Acrylics, Model Master Metalizer Lacquer 

Extras: 

Amigo Models – Nozzle set – still missing!!!!!!!

AMK – Die-Cast Landing Gear set

Eduard – PE Detail set

Quinta Studio – Interior 3D d

Master – Pitot Tube set

ResKit – MiG-31 Resin Wheel set

IMG_5457-XL.jpg

IMG_5459-XL.jpg

IMG_5460-XL.jpg

IMG_5461-XL.jpg

IMG_5462-XL.jpg

IMG_5464-XL.jpg

IMG_5451-XL.jpg

IMG_5445-XL.jpg

IMG_5442-XL.jpg

IMG_5439-XL.jpg

• Like 61
  • Thanks 1

Rich,

Thank you for posting this and for your open and honest appraisal of the merits (or otherwise) of this kit. Don't get me wrong.........I have seen some very nice builds of this kit but some of the reviewers would have us believe its a shake n' bake kit when I always suspected it was not. I had the same story with the Great Wall Hobby MiG-29 Fulcrum. Granted it all came together in the end but it was certainly not an easy build like those from Tamiya. I appreciate that for many (including myself) half the enjoyment comes from facing and overcoming challenges with a kit but it would help to have more accurate reviews to help with this process.

Anyway, your efforts have been rewarded with an excellent build.

Well Done, Sir !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Rich,

Thank you for posting this and for your open and honest appraisal of the merits (or otherwise) of this kit. Don't get me wrong.........I have seen some very nice builds of this kit but some of the reviewers would have us believe its a shake n' bake kit when I always suspected it was not. I had the same story with the Great Wall Hobby MiG-29 Fulcrum. Granted it all came together in the end but it was certainly not an easy build like those from Tamiya. I appreciate that for many (including myself) half the enjoyment comes from facing and overcoming challenges with a kit but it would help to have more accurate reviews to help with this process.

Anyway, your efforts have been rewarded with an excellent build.

Well Done, Sir !

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the build. I maybe complained a bit too much (gosh I normally build big resin models!!!), it is a nice model for sure, but it is one that needs that little bit extra attention. As you say it's not like a Tamiya model that for the most part just falls together, there are a couple of tricky spots that if you don't get bit right earlier in the build, that will come back to bit you! The intakes are one for sure, you do need to be really careful with how you fit the engines and intakes earlier in the build process. They need to be perfect, else when you close up the rear fuselage you get a slight lip in the front section that will later cause fit issues with the intake.......I found out the hard way! There are quite a few bit like this in the build, my advice to anyone planning to build this model, do lots of test fitting to make sure everything will fit correctly and that you are happy with how it all sites before applying any glue!

I'll have to watch that GWH MiG-29 as I have one in the stash as well.

Nicely done, superb model.

Nice honest appraisal of the kit.

More realistic appraisals from reviewers would be 'highly recommended'.

Give us the pros and cons and let us decide.  Most of us don't mind a bit of fiddling and test fitting as long as we know what we're in for before handing over big dollars (in some instances, not all).

• Thanks 1

Excellent work which belies the trouble you've had with it. Detail & weathering are first class.

I've got the AMK Fouga Magister in the stash. It wasn't cheap but has lots of detail & certainly looks good in the box. I won't be using the kit's decals as it will be in an Irish Air Corps scheme. Fingers crossed!

Pete.

• Like 1

What a great job! And what a beast! That has to be a big'un in 1:48 scale. The 3-D printed instrument panel "decals" are quite intriguing - and look fantastic.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

Absolute beast! Awesome finish.
At the moment I'm kinda glad I didn't pick up this kit while searching for a nice MiG-31, it always was too rich for my blood and I'm very skeptical when it comes to hypes :D  Also I wanted the MiG-31M badly so in the end it came down to the Hobby Boss kit, which was almost half the price of the AMK so even when it's flawed...so be it :D 

• Like 1

Fantastic build , that is a beautiful model

Note to self : just look at the pictures on TrickyRich threads, admire his skills. Do not read the cool AM parts used .... I have now googled Qunita Studio and added myself to the watchlist for a couple of sets :)  for F-4J and F-14A & D hahaha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Fantastic build , that is a beautiful model

Note to self : just look at the pictures on TrickyRich threads, admire his skills. Do not read the cool AM parts used .... I have now googled Qunita Studio and added myself to the watchlist for a couple of sets :)  for F-4J and F-14A & D hahaha

it's an AM downward spiral once you start looking at all the AM bits I use!! I'm not too sure who I blame for leading me down this expensive rabbit hole!! :D

But those Qunita Studio bits are now a #1 AM bit I must have for a build, they are stunning!!!

Absolutely tremendous build and having built the AMK MIG 31 myself, I agree entirely with your observations and sentiments about the OTT 'hype' when this kit first came out.

It is an imposing piece however when built and added to any collection or cabinet - great work and well done!

Gary

• Thanks 1