Revell 1/32 Arado Ar196A-3

Hi All

Continuing through my random collection of pre-started kits, this one has been waiting patiently for the turn of the year.

DSCF0261.jpg

A relative bargain even when bought new, there's plenty of plastic

DSCF0262.jpg

Some parts are well detailed (the radio gear, the cockpit side walls, the IP, the engine), though some parts could be inaccurate (the radio gear, the cockpit side walls, the IP, the engine)

DSCF0263.jpg

The side walls should be skinned with a thin armour plate covering most of the bracing, and there are no decals for the instruments or anything else in the cockpit, a shame as there will be a lot on view through the large expanse of the canopy.

And then there's the seats with their molded on belts:poop:

Anyhoo, on the plus side, in the box was some compensation in the way of an external etch set

DSCF0264.jpg

There are some teeny, teeny weeny parts in there, smaller than some 1/72 I've lost, but we shall see.

Previous owner had done some construction, and a dry fit showed there was nothing too far astray

DSCF0265.jpg

Looks like I'm at least going to have to get that HGW resin, etch and microfiber seat set or it will haunt me forever :crying:

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 13

I picked this kit up in a local charity shop inbetween lockdowns last year. Not something I'd usually go for, but at a tenner too tempting to leave behind. I'll follow your build with interest as I'm not sure where to go with mine yet ... (I'm a Tintin fan though 😉 )

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

On 1/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, Quiet Mike said:

I picked this kit up in a local charity shop inbetween lockdowns last year. Not something I'd usually go for, but at a tenner too tempting to leave behind. I'll follow your build with interest as I'm not sure where to go with mine yet ... (I'm a Tintin fan though 😉 )

Yes indeed, my tenner was well spent too! (And the rest since then...)

On 1/17/2021 at 3:34 PM, Biggles87 said:

I keep looking at mine then putting it back in the box.

Take it out of the box and throw some glue and paint at it John! Even without the Eduard and HGW bling, it still builds into an impressive rendition. It looks far more daunting at first glance than it seems to be.

So yes, I got the seats and belts

DSCF0333.jpg

These are beautiful kits in their own right, but there is no mention in the instructions of the large scalloped PE part on the left of the fret (between the 'Eduard' and the 'Made in'), anyone give me a clue as to where it's used?

DSCF0334.jpg

And yes, while I was there, I also got the Eduard interior detail set

DSCF0335.jpg

Not just to make up the postage, but for the plates on the side walls, the various instrument fascias and details, and the rear mounted MG.15 gun shield.

It's often a difficult choice between moulded but overscale kit parts, and finely printed but flat PE

DSCF0337.jpg

There may be compromises reached later.

Anyhoo, putting off any worthwhile advancements, I separated the larger parts from their sprues in order to reduce their plastic footprint

DSCF0338.jpg

TET for scale, she's a big'un

Then curiosity got the better of me and I started on the Port sidewall

DSCF0342.jpg

A couple of pieces to remove, but a straightforward fit

DSCF0343.jpg

DSCF0344.jpg

Nearly time for some paint :frantic:

Stbd wall had a bit more to remove, and some of it was to be kept

DSCF0345.jpg

In all the photos I've come across, the moulded cables to the left enter the box from behind the plate so won't need to be replaced.

DSCF0347.jpg

The cylindrical item on the right needs to be refitted, but I may look at refining it somewhat

There's still the Duplo vs Eduard quandry to be resolved

DSCF0348.jpg

Putting off this decision until later, I started on splitting up the engine bulkhead. The middle piece will get the first PE attempt (a grille, vanes, and a curved plate cover :unsure:)

DSCF0349.jpg

And I've decided to open up the intake flap as this seems to be common

DSCF0350.jpg

I'm going to do this as a series of smaller kits or sub assemblies, perhaps over quite a while, then bring them all together (hopefully) later.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 9

Hi All

Apart from being a touch bent (must have reversed into a flying fish or something?), I managed the back of the oil cooler grille together without much swearing

DSCF0356.jpg

A quick blast of black to hide the insides

DSCF0357.jpg

And a coat of Vallejo VA71.044 Grey RLM02 on the tank

DSCF0358.jpg

Hmm, so that will be Green RLM02.

As the Eduard etch is very much Grey, I thought it would look out of place, so I had a quick spray round with some Grey RLM02 like I'd seen on t'Interweb

DSCF0359.jpg

Clockwise from lower left we have AK-2051 Light Gull Grey (Last Place), AK-2013 RAF Medium Sea Grey (Second Place), Vallejo VA71.307 Med. Sea Grey (Third Place), and the Winner Is

DSCF0360.jpg

Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey

That's about as close as I'll get, and should be good enough for Jazz with a slightly dirty wash.

I'm tempted to do the cockpit in the Tamiya to blend in with the overall greyish scheme, but keep with the Vallejo RLM02 for the external mechanicals for a bit of variation.

Unless, of course, there is original evidence to show otherwise? :unsure:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I've been beginning to exorcise a couple of my PE demons by folding sticking a variety of sizes of Eduard's best to the cutting block, the CA applicator, my fingers, and eventually, the 196

DSCF0479.jpg

Fingers crossed (as they're stuck together) that the excess CA will blend in under a coat or two of XF-19.

The floor seems to have been stuck in slightly low as there is a gap between it and the rear framework

DSCF0476.jpg

But it should be hidden by the kick plate

DSCF0478.jpg

The litter bin just perches on the rear shelf.

I'm going to construct a new back panel for the printed IP as it would be such a waste to scrape off the nicely detailed kit part. If Revell had included some dial faces it would have made a very decent feature.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

The (odd) 3D kit detail is covered by the (mostly) 2D etch 5-6-7-8-9-10. (Should it be disconcerting that 5-6-7 go on the lower row, while 8-9-10 go on the upper?)

DSCF0480.jpg

At least I've matched the colour to Eduard, even though there are grounds for RLM02 being greener or darker grey

DSCF0509.jpg

Those Eduard people do like their '80s dot matrix printing process, looks like I'll be trying to blend in the fascias

DSCF0510.jpg

And tidying up the paint smudges...

Anyhoo, the wire cables behind the pilot that are part of the lifting rigging to get the plane back on board are replaced with wire

DSCF0508.jpg

The whole shebang will get a dark wash and general dirtying before a slow drying Matt Varnish.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

Hi All

I've been sorting out a replacement IP for the etch to sit on, as the kit part looks too groovy to erase

I drew round the Eduard backing plate onto some masking tape and cut it out

DSCF0514.jpg

Transferred the masking tape to sturdy plastic card and cut that out

DSCF0515.jpg

It should be good enough to support the etch once it's all painted in, and it's tucked under the skin anyway

DSCF0518.jpg

The other part I have been giving some attention to is the centre radio setups.

Now then, as this is 1/32 you'd expect bigger etch than, say, 1/72, or 1/48 even.

This is a dial from the radio eqpt

DSCF0516.jpg

That little sticky-up Aith* isn't part of the sprue (sheet?) gate, but needs to be bent forward to be a handle.

There are meant to be two of them, but it's twin pinged off in a reckless bid for freedom. I heard it land somewhere on the desk, but it's hiding amongst the flakes of plastic.

Also of note is etch No.4

DSCF0517.jpg

I cut one off as you can see, but I must have breathed in at that moment. Either that, or it's still riding the thermals above my cutting mat. I'll never know as I never heard it land, but I'm sure losing the other three will not benefit the build.

Cheers

Steve

*https://tmoliff.blogspot.com/2011/10/aith-n.html

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Sorry for the delay, things have been a bit sideways of late.

On 3/14/2021 at 7:16 AM, Biggles87 said:

That looks like a very time consuming operation. Did you consider using the kit IP with Airscale instrument decals?

John

Hi John, yes I'd thought of just sourcing instrument decals, but as there were so many other useful etch parts I figured I'd invest. Also, as the cockpit is so open and visible, the seat is on the cards too. If it was more closed and obscured i probably would have just painted it and hidden it.

The gun sight has a couple of parts to it

DSCF0765.jpg

And the flat levers got a dab of PVA and black paint

DSCF0773.jpg

So eventually it goes together acceptably with some Kristal Klear for the faces

DSCF0775.jpg

I've already knocked a lever off.

In the other corner I've started on the engine and mount

DSCF0687.jpg

DSCF0774.jpg

There's quite a bit of etch to spread round on here too.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Slow times in The Lab, but some progress

The vents were dished out to provide some 3D behind the etch grilles

DSCF0780.jpg

While the plates were put between the cylinders and held with Pledge

DSCF0781.jpg

All the parts were then coated in Stynylrez Black, with the casings in Vallejo VA 71.097 Base Grey.

DSCF0782.jpg

Some Tamiya Brown Panel Liner and a touch of dry brush with lighter grey and Aluminium

DSCF0783.jpg

DSCF0785.jpg

And the whole thing was ready to be assembled.

Note to self, put the front piece on first, otherwise the vent pieces get in the way, as follows...

DSCF0786.jpg

With the rear pipes and vents on, I had to snip off a branch and slot it down between the vents

DSCF0787.jpg

Doesn't look too bad once its back in place

DSCF0788.jpg

DSCF0789.jpg

The rear plate is still loose to aid the fitting and wiring at a later stage.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Some wiring was CA'd into the bulkhead and the front cowling frame was added

DSCF0790.jpg

The tank and radiator were attached to the bulkhead

DSCF0791.jpg

(You'll notice that I forgot to paint the inside of the radiator mesh... :wall:)

And the front cowl added with the gun panel in for alignment

DSCF0792.jpg

The rear plate of the engine assembly had been left loose for two reasons; to aid in the wiring of the engine, and also the fit of the rear plate to the engine was slightly discretionary, and I didn't fancy having the whole thing a couple of degrees off when it came to line it up wit the fuselage and gun firing through between the cylinders.

Rear plate attached to front cowl and some wiring added

DSCF0793.jpg

Wiring complete, and engine held on

DSCF0795.jpg

DSCF0796.jpg

And in situ

DSCF0797.jpg

DSCF0798.jpg

Leaving the engine off will greatly ease the pain of masking too.

The exhausts will be done once the engine is installed.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Moving away from the engine for a moment, I put the floats together

DSCF0799.jpg

That's a 1/72 Lancaster fuselage for scale.

They were each loaded with 30g of ballast in the nose, and sealed.

Now then, as it's a reasonably visible 1/32, the etch should be reasonably visible too...

DSCF0824.jpg

...And then there's the access cover handle to remove from the moulding and add a couple of replacement atoms, folded.

DSCF0825.jpg

We shall see how that goes.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

I just did a catch up and you can colour me suitably impressed. The engine looks particularly good.

All those little details add to the build quality. Please (in your own time) carry on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Fearing for my etch catching skills, I bent the smaller parts 'on the vine'

DSCF0829.jpg

They were then assembled on the sticky side of a strip of masking tape and secured with CA

DSCF0830.jpg

Later prized off with a held breath, then floated onto the surface of the covers with some Pledge

DSCF0832.jpg

As you can see from them in situ, the result is subtle but (hopefully) noticeable

DSCF0838.jpg

DSCF0839.jpg

You can probably tell I'm putting off the HGW seat sand seat belts, but they shouldn't be any smaller than these :pray:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Great stuff Steve. There’s no getting away from the fact that true 3D is better than moulded on detail. Are you on a retainer with Eduard, you are certainly showing how to use their products!!

• Thanks 1

Hi All

On 7/30/2021 at 4:03 PM, Quiet Mike said:

Steve, you're making my £10 bargain kit less of a bargain now I want to invest in all the PE for it 😆    Loving all these little details.

Sorry about that (:wicked:), it builds up into a really nice plane without all the extra bits'n'bobs, honest!

On 7/30/2021 at 4:29 PM, Simon Cornes said:

Great stuff Steve. There’s no getting away from the fact that true 3D is better than moulded on detail. Are you on a retainer with Eduard, you are certainly showing how to use their products!!

On a retainer? I wish:heart:

I've been dry fitting the side frames into the fuselage halves, working out an assembly sequence for the internals. Turns out much as you'd expect, just follow the instructions.

With that out of the way, it's time to finally turn attention to the HGW resin seat

DSCF0841.jpg

It's thin, very thin.

There is a sizeable block on its' underside that I'm presuming should be removed

DSCF0842.jpg

But, as you'll recall how thin it is, I'm in to minds as to its' future. There's no way I'd want to saw it off and break through into the seat pan, so I'm inclined to remove the outskirts, shape it to be hidden from view without removing it completely, and use it as a support for mounting it.

DSCF0843.jpg

At least there's the kit one if it all goes pear shaped :wall:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Well looking at the cushion in the top photo it could well be that the pour stub goes quite high up the sides. If it was me I'd get some heavy grade wet and dry, slosh it in water and have a go and  take off a chunk then move to lighter grades and be careful - all wet of course - until you had taken off as much as you dare - and don't forget, its not the end if you take too much off - a piece of 10 thou card underneath would cover a multitude of sins!

• Like 1

Hi Simon, I'm hoping to remove as much as I dare with saws, files, and sandpaper.

I've never done this fragile resin, so am slightly apprehensive that I'll crack the back while working on the seat (as the chiropractor said to the... oh never mind)

A saving grace is that once installed, there's not much (if any) visible below the edges. And anyway, everyone's attention will be focused on the exquisite seat belts :whistle:

Cheers

Steve

• Haha 2

The SBS resin seat for my Hellcat was almost as thin. I used a thin PE saw, chucked into an excto knife handle and sawed around the base under a lightly running tap. (with a strainer in the sink, just in case.😉)

• Like 1