Revell 1/32 Arado Ar196A-3

Looking good so far, this is a kit I regret not buying when it was £20 I was looking online for this a few days ago and you'd be lucky to get it under £90. You're adding a ton of detail I look forward to seeing the end result.

• Like 1

Hi All

Seat reduced to a discrete thickness, still plenty under there but it'll never be seen

DSCF0845.jpg

And so to the straps

DSCF0847.jpg

The single strap from the floor to the rear seat doesn't have a location point on the actual kit part

DSCF0848.jpg

So I may leave it off?

The individual pieces are very well done, with nicely detailed stitching

DSCF0849.jpg

You'll notice the reinforcing on both ends of this, as an etch piece is attached to both ends

DSCF0850.jpg

Whereas this piece only has one etch end, so care was taken to ensure they were all the right way round

DSCF0851.jpg

They were given a spot of Tamiya brown panel line wash to bring the textures out

The instructions give the appearance of complexity, but in the end they all went together fine with a touch of CA, just need to thread them through the buckles now

DSCF0854.jpg

Anyone know what that big piece of etch is for?

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Milestone moment!

DSCF0860.jpg

No, not finding that one random placement of an ammo drum holder on the floor fouls the base of the rear gun chute :wall:

DSCF0861.jpg

Nor seeing how pants the supplied rear gun is (the Eduard etch has fixes for this, another reason to get it)

And although the front gun is equally naff, and there is no help from Eduard, it doesn't really matter too much as this is all that will be seen anyway

DSCF0889.jpg

Pointy end drilled out

DSCF0890.jpg

Spoiler Alert!

DSCF0885.jpg

Starting to feel like it's coming together :yahoo:

Radio bulkhead fits

DSCF0886.jpg

Seat attached with various CA, UV Glue and spare rod

DSCF0887.jpg

DSCF0888.jpg

Seatbelts in their positions

DSCF0896.jpg

And together she goes

DSCF0897.jpg

I've only glued the base of the radio bulkhead, and up to the rear main wing spar, as some flexibility is needed to jiggle the frames into the fuselage halves and slot in the rear seat.

All in position

DSCF0898.jpg

DSCF0899.jpg

DSCF0900.jpg

DSCF0901.jpg

As the cockpit is so long and open, I think that HGW seat set really makes a worthwhile investment.

The Eduard is also handy, although I'm slightly bemused as to why they've dome the printed parts in grey :huh:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Sides on and closed up

DSCF0930.jpg

She's going to be quite a size

DSCF0932.jpg

Included in the etch set are several details for the inside of the engine access etc plates. As they're there, they might as well go on

DSCF0951.jpg

Pledge is turning out to be a wonderful PE adhesive for surface details, and eventually they'll get some RLM and wash attention

DSCF0952.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

All grubbied up, 'though not much will be seen as usual

DSCF0963.jpg

Wings and associated flappery go together simply

DSCF0966.jpg

And will end up something like this

DSCF0967.jpg

There are sturdy connections betwixt body and wing, no drooping here.

As to the flaps, Eduard provide actuators that replace part of Revells supports.

DSCF0972.jpg

However, I'm not entirely convinced of their fit

DSCF0970.jpg

But as I intend to paint the moveable surfaces separately, I'll put off deciding their inclusion until later.

Other parts that will be included now include these Klutz Magnets

DSCF0971.jpg

Let's see how long they remain.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Hi All

With nothing interesting to distract me from the Ar, I set about assembling the power egg.

The three notched bars sit on cylinder heads, one end tucked into the rear fairing ring, and the other (obviously more curved) fits into the nose ring.

DSCF1009.jpg

Simples

DSCF1010.jpg

Nowhere near the juggling display I was expecting.

Now to get the outer panels tacked on for painting prep.

DSCF1011.jpg

Hmm, there seems to be something in the way, stopping them from fitting correctly.

Can you see what it might be?

Yes boys and girls, it's those lovingly applied bits of Eduard's finest :wall:

And just to add a finishing flourish to the process

DSCF1012.jpg

Yup, those nine brace pieces fitted in behind.

So anway, I'm going to find another distraction.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good at the front end.

I don't buy many Eduard sets these days because  my increasingly fumbly fingers can't cope with them, it's mostly just instrument panels. When I did use engine sets I found that I didn't use, or lost about 25% of them anyway.  :banghead:

John

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Yes, I'm still here with this one.

I've been doing some soul searching as to why I'm not inclined to work on her, and I think it's twofold

Firstly, the etch, the "I've bought it so I'm going to use it all or so help me..." mindset that I was slipping into.

@Biggles87 struck a chord though, so now I've convinced myself that I can now psychologically claim a 25% redundancy buffer of parts. They'll always come in handy for something else later on, right?

Secondly, paint. It's getting to the stage when I've invested more time and expense in this than anything else I've ever built, and so these final steps are the most mission critical. I'm still not 100% comfortable with my finishes, and until I'm at least 82% I'm wary of dropping the ball.

Thso, what to do?

Well, firstly, adapt and fit the etch that you think will be noticeable by it's absence (I'll get that straightened out asap)

DSCF1122.jpg

DSCF1123.jpg

And don't sweat what you might not miss (I'm looking at you, interior engine cowl bracing struts)

I salute the micro detail that goes into the "because I know it's there" order, but it's not for me.

Secondly, I'm going to trial some potential paints on a couple of willing subjects to see how they do.

We will return after a brief intermission.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"Well, firstly, adapt and fit the etch that you think will be noticeable by it's absence (I'll get that straightened out asap)

And don't sweat what you might not miss (I'm looking at you, interior engine cowl bracing struts)

I salute the micro detail that goes into the "because I know it's there" order, but it's not for me."

A very sensible approach which I also adopt Steve - I salute your pragmatism! Beautiful build and really interesting WIP by the way,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi All

Right, where were we?

Ah yes, Time for paint!

But first, something that has also been bothering me

DSCF1413.jpg

On the back of that lovely engine is a set of very unlovely exhaust ends

A couple of clicks later, relief arrived (along with something else, but more of that later)

DSCF1414.jpg

These were duly mounted via superglue and Maskol

DSCF1415.jpg

And will be refined later.

Niggle box ticked.

I'll get to the paint soon, promise.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Let me introduce to you The Cronenberg Exhausts

DSCF1416.jpg

They were captured, smoothed with UV resin, given a coat of black primer and a shower of MRP-F086 Burnt Metal Metalic

DSCF1431.jpg

Then a bath of Flory Rust

DSCF1437.jpg

Before being rehoused back where they belong

DSCF1438.jpg

DSCF1439.jpg

I also cut out the cooler flap from PE

DSCF1440.jpg

Because PAINT! :yahoo:

DSCF1441.jpg

Typically, the Vallejo VA71.255 RLM65 Hellblau that had sprayed beautifully on the ghastly Storch, got all weird and randomly clogged.

Don't look too close, there may be repair patches later.

But still, PAINT! :yahoo:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

Wow!! Just got through going over these posts for the Arado.  I too, have this kit and I think I purchased it when it came out.  You have far more patience and manual dexterity than I do use all of that PE.  Although, the final results are impressive.  Well done.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

After some consideration, I gave her undersides a thinned goat of VA71.257 Light Blue RLM76

DSCF1601.jpg

Much happier, both with the resultant finish and colour tone. A touch lighter and smoother, more in keeping with the pics I've seen.

A coat of Pledge to seal it on, then next steps involving the topside.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1