Italeri 2021

IT_Man

Nothing, its just Italeri's way od doing business a.)not announcing anything new combined with b.)selfharm of not having items that should be permanently in their catalogue in some cases for a decade if not more,  re-releasing them as, or after far better kit from another manufacturer arrives.

6 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Would that F-5A be Italeri or Esci kit? Dakota seems to be Esci

F-5A is the Esci mould by definition as Italeri only ever kitted the F-5E/F themselves. Funny thing about the C-47 boxings is that both the Italeri ('Skytrain') and Esci (Dakota Mk.III with a very nice decal sheet) moulds are on the same page of the catalog... 🤔

On 1/30/2021 at 8:13 PM, SAT69 said:

I remember the 1/48 Italeri F-4G and recall it being a nice kit for its time.

Problem is that its time was 40 year ago...

On 1/30/2021 at 1:28 AM, roym said:

Am I the only one who likes it? Easy build, better nose shape than the ESCI "E", cheaper and more available than either of the Japanese firms "G", and can be built as an E, F or G.

Actually an accurate F could not be made as the kit only included the slotted stabilators, even if one of the markings was for an F. The later Esci kit included both types.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:32 AM, roym said:

For a company allegedly on the decline, that's some catalog. 

Italeri has been rightly criticised over the last 10 years for the very small number of proper new kits and their insistence on reboxes of either their own or other manufacturers kits. At the same time they are the only European mainstream manufacturer still in the hands of the founders and this after more than 50 years.

If they are still around after all this time they sure must be doing something right, even if we as enthusiasts are not happy about their products

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2021 at 4:25 PM, IT_Man said:

Full list not available yet - these are some new additions I found. I hope to see full list soon, but I don't imagine many new kits as a lot are still waiting 

Here is full list, not from Preview but from their 2021-2022 catalogue.

https://nowosci.plastikowe.pl/aktualnosci/zapowiedzi-2021-2022-italeri/

Remarks like zapowiedź od 2017 roku mean "kit was announced in 2017 and is not released yet". TBH I have no idea why because such kits are their own moulds.

"New" kits with new catalogue numbers and Super Decal note usually are old kits with new decals, usually a much larger sheet.

20 minutes ago, ivand said:

About time they finally rereleased the Esci F-5A, it was announced quite a while ago.

I wonder how long it will be in production, but I won't take any chances, I'll buy it straight away.

20 minutes ago, ivand said:

OTOH, I don't think even a super decal sheet can compensate for the obsolescence of the RF-84F... 🙄

This is true. Some kits age well and in their case such a sheet is just a bonus. But many others will not be helped even by a super decal sheet, PE or resin parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone!

I’ve been building the Italeri Tornado IDS/GR4 1/48 scale and during the decalling process made a mistake by following the decal sheet verbatim.

Anyway, do your research I suppose is the lesson learned here. So I thought I’d share this website http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Panavia Tornado GR.4 Walkaround ZG771 RAF Nth Ireland 2017/content/Panavia Tornado GR.4 ZG771 RAF Nth Ireland 2017 071 GraemeMolineux_large.html

where I’ve found some very good photos for those seeking that extra bit of detail for their Tornado GR4 models RAF variant. I’ve gone for the 31 Sqn option within the decal set. 

• Like 1

Mixed feelings about this.... the Esci kit is not bad but the inaccurate front end is something I don't really like.

The decal sheet looks interesting and looks like Italeri finally got the stencils less obtrusive compared to other kits and more realistic. I'd have to check the accuracy of the sheet but the options proposed are quite interesting.

Not sure about the price though... the rebox of the Fujimi FG.1 was €1 cheaper and that is a much nicer kit. The C/D/J box is €3 cheaper and it's from the same Esci moulds...

And more, at the moment the Revell F-4F is not available but the latest boxes used to sell for around € 25... and the Revell kit while not perfect is better in many aspects than the Esci one

Of course Italeri kits can be easily found at prices lower than RRP, I'll keep an eye open, if I find one in the €20-22 range I might get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbostream said:

Perhaps you have to be a Swede to be excited about this but I read on facebook that Italeri will reissue their Volvo 760 GLE kit this spring. I believe it is a limited run.

I'd buy one too!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My F-4E/F arrived yesterday. It's clearly the Esci mould with the inaccurate cheek intakes and lacks the ARN-101 fairing for the spine on the PN a/c. Apart from a little flash on a small number of parts it is crisply done and the decal sheet is a beauty with different walkways, a variety of stencils and 3 variations of the warning triangles/canopy opening buttons and handles.

• Like 1

ESCI 1/72 F-4 family has a mix of Air Force and Navy Phantom features:

* Navy main wheels

* Air Force refuelling probe door scribed on spine and no Navy refuelling probe door on right side of forward fuselage (easy to scribe)

* Navy catapult hooks under intakes (easy to fill on Air Force Phantom)

* Air Force cockpit with right rear console and no panel to cover refuelling probe compartment for Navy Phantom, as well as Air Force stick in the rear cockpit

* Short nose intake scoops (as Giorgio mentioned), some work required to make faired in long nose scoops

* When boxed as F-4S, port side air intake grilles around nose wheel well are not correct (but most manufacturers reused a common part there; they need filling and new ones need to be opened forward of the old ones)

* F-4S and F-4E/F slats are identical parts (they should be somewhat different; again, most manufacturers did not make them specific to S or E/F/G models), also missing wing fence for slatted models (easy to make, F-4S having a longer fence than F-4E/F)

Other errors:

* Exhaust flame holders have 6 instead of 7 spokes and are about half the depth they should be

* Wing pylon sway braces are wrong shape

* Sidewinder missiles are not very good, Sparrows need cable ducts (easy to add)

* No centre fuel tank

* No Navy main gear trunnion covers on the top wings (easy to make)

* No Navy antenna bumps on underside of wings and intakes (easy to make)

* No option for open speed brakes (most 1/72 Phantoms have them shut)

* No open blow-in doors on the underside of the belly (when landing gear is down, they are always open; most 1/72 Phantoms have them shut)

* Sidewinder pylons are not accurate; they should connect to inner wing pylons a bit higher and to the rear, and they should cant slighlty down; shape and size is also wrong

The kit looks very similar to Fujimi Phantoms, with a number of parts changed and some simplifications. Some parts are identical. It is likely that they were both tooled by the same company around the same time in 80s, or that one is a somewhat altered copy of the other. This also applies to ESCI and Fujimi Harriers and A-7 Corsairs.

Other than those issues, ESCI Phantoms have very crisp and thin panel lines, they are easy to build due to not being split into many sub-assemblies to cater for multiple versions with minimum of parts, and are good in dimensions and shape (in other words, it looks like a Phantom).

Edited by Vladan Dugaric
  • Like 2

* No Navy antenna bumps on underside of wings and intakes (easy to make):

if you are talking about them

https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/p/sanders-analq-51-51a-100.html

you should be aware that very few variants and a bunch of airframes kept them

F-4B/N had them

F-4J some single airframes on reserve/training units

F-4S same as above

RF-4B you are in the dire need to find a picture of your selected machine and be sure of it

RF-4C found nothing but I don't have pictures of RF-4C flying during the Vietnam conflict, instead I have lots of pictures of Spanish and Korean RF-4C and they don't have a single bump

RF-4E so far nothing, at least nothing from Greek and German units, 'spose is the same for Japanese versions

F-4E one US sample from Wikimedia, zero from F-4F and F-4EJs and Greek units, I'm ignoring the rest as they do not interest me

F-4G I suppose nothing but I don't have a collection of F-4G pictures

F-4 UK variants zero, maybe some early FG had them? I don't have B&W pictures

Turkish variants had a single or maybe dual strike/release camera installed in place of intake antenna bumps

Luigi

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well good to see as Ive always wanted to see/build one. 

But it’s not at all accurate. It’s a slightly modified Esci F-86. The Kittyhawk 1/48 FJ-2 is far superior; and that’s really saying something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

But it’s not at all accurate. It’s a slightly modified Esci F-86. The Kittyhawk 1/48 FJ-2 is far superior; and that’s really saying something.

Oh I know but Ive only ever heard of these kits, never have seen one ? It might be worth it just for the spares bin and decals. Might even be good for a Whif build

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle