Tornado GR1/4 intake colours

cherisy

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum  but can anyone give me a definitive answer as to the interior colour for the air intakes and undercarriage bays ?. All the references  I've checked show either white or  what appears to be a very light grey. One walkaround I checked out had what appears to be an aluminium colour  to the nose wheel bay. However  that appeared to be an old ground instructional  airframe.

Many thanks in advance.

From what I've seen, the inside of the front section of the intake is the same as the immediate external colour and then something lighter takes over.

This picture taken from Wikpedia shows a Tornado intake with the front section removed and what looks like a beige colour for deeper structures:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Panavia_Tornado_GR.4_intake_detail_%2823794698270%29.jpg

spacer.png

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, upnorth said:

From what I've seen, the inside of the front section of the intake is the same as the immediate external colour and then something lighter takes over.

This picture taken from Wikpedia shows a Tornado intake with the front section removed and what looks like a beige colour for deeper structures:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Panavia_Tornado_GR.4_intake_detail_%2823794698270%29.jpg

spacer.png

Many thanks. That certainly  looks a kind of light grey to me

It's a pale grey down the intake. The black stuff on the lip of the intakes is a substance called spraymat. Went on gloss but wore down to matt.

There could be areas of bare metal just inside the intake from erosion. There is a longitudinal strake just inside the left intake.

Undercarriage bays were a VERY light grey which did look white at times. Same with the gear. 

All this is from memory and it was around thirty + years ago!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's a pale grey down the intake. The black stuff on the lip of the intakes is a substance called spraymat. Went on gloss but wore down to matt.

There could be areas of bare metal just inside the intake from erosion. There is a longitudinal strake just inside the left intake.

Undercarriage bays were a VERY light grey which did look white at times. Same with the gear. 

All this is from memory and it was around thirty + years ago!

Thats brilliant thanks Pete. Whilst your here could I pick your brains further..cockpit floor . Anti slip green or black ? 

We had anti slip grey in my day. But to answer your question, this is a GR4 but it should be good for you.

http://www.britmodeller.com/walkarounds/aircraft/tornado/ZD843/84353.JPG

This is from the walkabout section. Search on about page 9 in jets for Panavia Tornado. The pictures there should put your mind at rest on all things Tornado.

Some of them have jogged my memory bank too! Cheers, Pete

• Like 1