RAF Tornado with ALARM's.

Hi,

It's time to add another couple of build threads.😉

This is the pretty neat Revell kit. There are two kits in the picture...I've read that the standard load-out for ALARM Tornado's had three missiles  and there are only two of them in the kit.

I have in the past tried to build the really nice Flightpath ALARM's with the delicate PE fins. I'll build my ALARM Tornado with the kit missiles. The fins are fatter, but they're  all there and not bent.

You may notice that the top box has a 5€ price tag...I bought that one at a swap meet in 2012.

hijWKRO.jpg

10 years ago, there was a Desert Storm GB on ARC. Back then, Spike 7451 was around to answer some questions about RAF Tornado's.

Sadly, he passed away a couple years ago. I'll remember him with this build. 

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

ALARM's have been decalled and the Tornado received a Flightpath nose. 

Flightpath says the nose is useable for both the Hasegawa and the Revell Tonado.

I believe that the Revell one needs it a bit more than the Hasegawa.

m65hDyr.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 6

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I'm rather pleased with how the decalling of the ALARM's went.

The nose-job could probably have been done a bit better, but I've filled the gaps now and I'll leave it as it is.

I have glued the fuselage halves together, so the wings and tailplanes are on as well. Revell provides a system that allows the pylons to be moved as you swing the wings. I'll have to fix the inner pylons in one position though, one is quite wobbly and the other one fell out altogether.

I'll be building this as ZD748 "Anola Kay". There are two types of decals for her: one with the single sharkmouth on the fuselage and one with a smaller sharkmouth on each air intake. I'm leaning towards the one with the 2 smaller sharkmouths.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

Hi,

The Tornado suffered a bit of a setback...

A0QZgKt.jpg

I was testfitting the vertical stabiliser and I had to push down quite a bit. It slipped out of its position and took out the horizontal stabiliser. The Revell horizontal stabs have a rather flimsy attachment and they are attached before the fuselage halves are closed.

So, they are also in the way of any work on the seam between the fuselage halves.

Luckily the stabs are thick enough at the root to allow the installation of pins.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The stabiliser went back on pretty well and she's standing on her landing gear.

That was a bit of an adventure, it's very hard to look into the gear bay to see where to glue it. Finally, I got it into a satisfactory position.

w42fbfi.jpg

Not sure if I'll make it by next week, but work continues.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 3