Avro Lancaster B.I "Oor Wullie"

Plumbum

I have decals coming for my Airfix 1/72 build, Admiral Prune, so I decided to do this one and use the Oor Wullie

decals for my 1/72 Revell kit. It has lots of issues but I will attempt to fix the worse ones. I will move the pilot seat

4 mm forward, add 2 degrees to the wing dihedral, add the DF loop and use a spare set of 1/72 Airfix tires for the

main landing gear. Not sure if I will fix, replace or just let the tail wheel go.---John

K8fl05i.jpg

jA6Q2HI.jpg

• Like 2

• Plumbum changed the title to Avro Lancaster B.I "Oor Wullie"

'Orr Wullie' from 101 Squadron Ludford Magna.

A character from the Scots comic for many years . . . 

I met the skipper at one of the reunions many years ago and it was a pleasure to be in his company.

Are you aware that LL757 carried 'ABC' equipment with associated aerials ??

I look forward to seeing your build, I have three of these kits in the stash  . . .

Ian

• Like 1

The kit has no DF loop so I found one of about the appropriate size, between 2 to 3 mm in diameter from a

Japanese Zero kit and modified it a bit. I painted the rear deck green and added the canopy. There was a gap

between the canopy and the fuselage so I used a twist tie to "turnbuckle" the canopy to the fuselage and hold

it while the glue set.---John

7PoPmSI.jpg

RPpL1Wp.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/19/2021 at 11:43 AM, Ruskin Air Services said:

Started this kit last week, going to build it as a post war coastal command lancaster. At least being a post war aircraft I can cheat with the interior colour and go with black as most later lancaster went with this

Would that be the version with the Lifeboat slung underneath ??

Ian

Well it would look different, I had toyed with idea but was running out of ideas of what to build it out of and balsa wood was the last thing I would have used as the dust gets everywhere. As you're offering I will take you up on it if you don't mind. 

Thank you. Mark 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 4:45 PM, Ruskin Air Services said:

Well it would look different, I had toyed with idea but was running out of ideas of what to build it out of and balsa wood was the last thing I would have used as the dust gets everywhere. As you're offering I will take you up on it if you don't mind. 

Thank you. Mark 

Mark

Just PM me your details and I'll get it off in the post Monday 

Ian

• Like 1

On 17/01/2021 at 09:07, Mancunian airman said:

A character from the Scots comic for many years . . . 

I was reading Oor Wullie in the Sunday Post just last week! And The Broons too. Paw Broon was railing against his family for spending too much time on their mobiles - despite still dressing like a factory foreman from the 1930s...

Apologies for the digression.. 🙃 Lovely work so far!

• Haha 3

I cut the top wings apart with a razor saw by the second line just past the inboard engine mount as per

Hyperscale Lancaster build. I then set my protractor to 5 degrees, tried 7 degrees but it looked too much,

and made a template from card stock. I then glued the top 2 pieces to the bottom wing half and let them

set. When dry I pulled the top up until the razor saw kerf closed, checked it with my 5 degree card stock

template, glued and taped it from wing tip to wing root and let it set. When it dried I puttied the top seam.---John

Xw1XKq9.jpg

vTxB1XX.jpg

90fHgrf.jpg

• Like 8

I need to clarify the above post. I wrote 5 degrees but it is actually 175 degrees, 5 degres off the 180 degree horizon. Also I have 5 degrees

off the wing tops NOT the center line of the wing which I think is where "real" engineers work from for their datum. So it may not actually be

5 degrees but it looks a LOT better than what the kit gives you. Also the Hyperscale Lancaster Build I am referring to was done by Brett Green

at Hyperscale and can be found on line with a bit of googling.---John

• Like 1

I have a copy of one of the few pics of a 101 Lancaster at Ludford, taken for the Illustrated London News, I believe, and given to the ground crews gathered in it, including my dad. For some reason RAF allowed them to go to a bomber station to photograph all the planes, crews, ground staff etc, before someone realised 101 was meant to be secret... Apparently a whole squadron had to be flown in to pose instead. The exception was one plane being serviced, sadly the details of the undernose aerials are masked by three sheepish erks holding an engine cover in front of it.

Don

• Like 1

Just to be accurate, the final photo taken of the squadrons Lancasters was taken at near-by Wickenby airfield. 

As you rightly pointed out, 101 was secret and the series of photographs appear in Lancaster At war book 1  . . .

• Like 1